Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there my name is Michael and I am new here, I have been keeping reptiles (mainly snakes) basically my whole life with my favorite being Morelia viridis. A year and a half ago I got into keeping inverts but I have always had an interest in the PDF hobby. Anyways I now have decided to get into the hobby, I will probably be researching for a few months before doing anything though. However there are a few questions I have.

1. What would be better a exo-terra tank, or just a regular aquarium? Which would be easier for a beginner?

2. Lid? I know they need an all glass lid, but I am sure that includes some ventilation, I know it sounds like a stupid question, but a few threads I have read make it seem like they don't need any vents, though I am sure that is not the case. Anyways, can I just just get a piece of glass cut and put it over the ventilation until there is a little bit?

3. One thing that keeps me thinking is the drainage layer/false bottom. What is the deal with this? In other words what does it do? Drain the excess water? For that water to later turn into humidity? What are some of the best ways to achieve this?

Forgive me if this is covered a million times. I used the search function but I didn't have too much luck, thank you everyone for reading. I hope my questions don't bother anyone.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
1. This is a personal preference, but the exo-terra/zoomeds are SO much easier and nicer looking IMO with the front opening door.

2. Some people like some ventilation, I dont use any. I have full glass lids on mine.

3. A false bottom keeps the substrate not saturated. If the substrate is too wet it can hurt your frog over time.
Hi there my name is Michael and I am new here, I have been keeping reptiles (mainly snakes) basically my whole life with my favorite being Morelia viridis. A year and a half ago I got into keeping inverts but I have always had an interest in the PDF hobby. Anyways I now have decided to get into the hobby, I will probably be researching for a few months before doing anything though. However there are a few questions I have.

1. What would be better a exo-terra tank, or just a regular aquarium? Which would be easier for a beginner?

2. Lid? I know they need an all glass lid, but I am sure that includes some ventilation, I know it sounds like a stupid question, but a few threads I have read make it seem like they don't need any vents, though I am sure that is not the case. Anyways, can I just just get a piece of glass cut and put it over the ventilation until there is a little bit?

3. One thing that keeps me thinking is the drainage layer/false bottom. What is the deal with this? In other words what does it do? Drain the excess water? For that water to later turn into humidity? What are some of the best ways to achieve this?

Forgive me if this is covered a million times. I used the search function but I didn't have too much luck, thank you everyone for reading. I hope my questions don't bother anyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick reply!

Thank you, I will look into some exo-terra tanks. The lid thing is really interesting, how do the frogs get their oxygen then? Through the plants? With the false bottom/drainage layer, is there a thread you can point me to where it explains how to create it. I am sure it is much more simpler than I making it out to be but I just want to be sure. :D

1. This is a personal preference, but the exo-terra/zoomeds are SO much easier and nicer looking IMO with the front opening door.

2. Some people like some ventilation, I dont use any. I have full glass lids on mine.

3. A false bottom keeps the substrate not saturated. If the substrate is too wet it can hurt your frog over time.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

Very well answered. I'm only going to add a bit to #3. It drains the excess moisture from the substrate, thus reducing the saturation that heatfreakk3 mentions. It does also add the tanks overall humidity.
Oh, and maybe this since I do use ventilation. If you leave an open strip for ventilation, do not leave more than a 1" strip.

·
Registered
817 Posts
All the answers you got are good. The false bottom can also serve to allow for the placing of pumps for water features.

I'm also going to second, or third, the no ventilation thing. The plants, as well as opening the door to mist and feed, offers all the ventilation and fresh air the frogs need. If you live in a humid area of the country, a 1" strip of ventilation can work.

You're going to love the frogs man. I got into them after working with chondros, and I love them. The daily maintenance took some getting used too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly, I sold my Chondros during a rough patch in my life, but now everything is all good. Though I don't own any Chondros anymore. I will probably be picking up a few in daytona this year though. I now pretty much just have a few snakes and a lot of tarantulas and scorpions haha. Thank you all for the replies. I feel a bit more at ease. I am not much of a DIY guy so this is kind of new for me. :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are located near Daytona you should check this out.....http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/southeast/65479-anyone-up-another-meet-central-florida.html
It would be a great time/place to meet with other local hobbyist, ask a ton of questions, see some up an running vivs, and maybe even pick up a frog or two.
I am actually from North Georgia, Blue Ridge mountains to be exact but I am gonna be driving down to Daytona for the National Breeders Expo this year. I can't wait I am gonna have so much money saved up haha. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally, I think the aquariums are easier than the exo's. With the exo's you have to do some little modifications to make it suitable for a frog, nothing to complicated though.

The false bottom creates a reservoir that you can then drain/siphon the accumulated water from. There are two main ways to create these.

First is the hydroton ot LECA. These are little clay balls. Lay this down and add a piece of screen over this. This separates the substrate, which you lay down over the screen, from the water.

The other method is to use eggcrate. Cut the eggcrate to the desired size and cover it in screen as well. Make sure you use pieces of pvc to support the eggcrate as it will sag over time. Tiers and fake trees or roots can be created using the excess eggcrate as well.

That's great that you're researching first. Use the search bar and look around on the forums to see what can and can't be done. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Don't forget about zoo meds. They're very similar to exo terras except they're 1 door and usually a couple bucks cheaper.

I second what everyone else has said, especially about using a front opening viv instead of an aquarium. They may take a bit more effort to set up, but it's worth it in my mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Personally, I think the aquariums are easier than the exo's. With the exo's you have to do some little modifications to make it suitable for a frog, nothing to complicated though.

The false bottom creates a reservoir that you can then drain/siphon the accumulated water from. There are two main ways to create these.

First is the hydroton ot LECA. These are little clay balls. Lay this down and add a piece of screen over this. This separates the substrate, which you lay down over the screen, from the water.

The other method is to use eggcrate. Cut the eggcrate to the desired size and cover it in screen as well. Make sure you use pieces of pvc to support the eggcrate as it will sag over time. Tiers and fake trees or roots can be created using the excess eggcrate as well.

That's great that you're researching first. Use the search bar and look around on the forums to see what can and can't be done. Welcome to the forums!
Thank you that is very informative! I always research before I buy new animals. I research a year before getting my first Chondro, and around three months before getting my first tarantula.

I have been researching nonstop all day yesterday and then when I woke up the same thing now haha. One thing that doesn't seem to answer in any threads I read is the drainage layer. I don't plan on adding a waterfall or anything, but do I need to siphon out the water out of the drainage layer somehow? If so, how would I do this once everything was planted and the frogs were living in there? Do I drill a hole in the back of the tank? Sorry for all the questions, like I said before I am not the best DIY guy but I am willing to learn!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well.. I am no " Vet" and most people over time ( still learn and screw up) lol.. If you are more Geared towards making a water feature ( stick with a false Bottom ) USE Weed Blocker ( black in color) " in place of screen. you can get it from home Depot..

Use LECCA ( clay balls ) for more of a Planted ( ground area ) and smaller water feature. but either way.. ( its your call) ( Grimm.. a member on here makes some great videos) of DIY type.

If I had a choice. ( I would choose Zoo med over Exo) because of the one door factor with Zoo med ( less view obstruction ) and the one door is much sturdier. ( i have had exos break on the door factor because they are smaller. Also you can get glass to be cut for the Top ( 1 slab )for the 18 X 18 X24 zoo meds... ( you need two for the exos) so its a tad bit easier to Mod a zoo med. IMO

find some cheap aqariums and practice!!! ( so in case you make a mistake.. its not hurting your pocket ) WE NEED MORE IN THE HOBBY!!! and thankfully its taking off!! I wish the vets ( when I started 4 years ago ) could have been more helpful :-(

SERIOUSLY WATCH THIS THREAD of a guy ON VIVARIUM FORUM!!! I BEG YOU IN THE NAME OF DART FROGS!!! LOL.... ok. joke.... but serious.. it gives great photos and DIY step by step stuff!! scroll down.... get some ideas... and have fun

my method of building fake / faux rocks - Vivarium Forums

I strongly suggest you watch aaafrogs.com ( DIY videos from Aaron) as well...

·
Registered
230 Posts
ALOT easier to access inside with Front opening ones!!! ( especially if you have a tank on a stand... when you have a tall tank... and on top of stand... not pretty when trying to clean it up... ) agreed with everyone ( a little more effort to mod the zoo med- or exos) but WORTH IT!!! again. zoo meds have just the one door!! ( and they are cheaper) based out of San Luis Obispo California...

you can get the Zoo med canopies on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Zoo-Med-Natural...ltDomain_0&hash=item35aef8ad1e#ht_1215wt_1141

cheaper than the evil empire Petsmart store will offer. or.. these lights can be used for the exos... or Zoo meds.. or Pet smart should have them.. 25 Watt Indoor Sunshine ® Full Spectrum Multi-Phosphor CFL Bulb

if you want to go the cool ass custom canopy route.. aaafrogs

Aaron makes custom LED canopies ( yes he will do for the exos and zoo meds) they are bad ass looking..

Patrick Nabors can do custom type stuff , Custom Rock faux backgrounds, custom mod pumps with hoses, ect. He has an amazing frog collection!! ( I have ordered from him many times. ) he was one of the first to break into the Hobby.. 1994.. he builds stuff for zoos and one of the first ( if not the first) to Breed Pumilio in Captivity

www.saurian.net

either way... the world is yours.. have fun!! Enjoy the hobby!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I will second the zoomed is better than exoterra statement. A simple way to create a drainage spot is to take a piece of PVC and make the last inch or so drilled to pieces with holes so its like swiss cheese. Then silicone it to the bottom of the tank holy side down. You can cap it off and disguise as desired and it gives you direct access to water layer for draining or adding water.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
cheaper than the evil empire Petsmart store will offer. or.. these lights can be used for the exos... or Zoo meds.. or Pet smart should have them.. 25 Watt Indoor Sunshine ® Full Spectrum Multi-Phosphor CFL Bulb
Unless you have glass or other material that actually allows the penetration of UVB, you do not need to use full spectrum bulbs. Most people simply use a bulb close to 6500 K for the plants.

one of the first ( if not the first) to Breed Pumilio in Captivity
There are reports of captive reproduction in pumilio as early as 1969 and the first successful rearing was reported in 1978 see the references reported here http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=l24802272473q160&size=largest

·
Registered
230 Posts
Unless you have glass or other material that actually allows the penetration of UVB, you do not need to use full spectrum bulbs. Most people simply use a bulb close to 6500 K for the plants.

You do not NEED full Spectrum. but with my experience with plants and bringing out the ( Vibrant colors in Broms, Orchids.... I have found Great success with my plants over 7 years working with them.. but you are right.. NOT NEEDED its more for the asthetic to the eye.. than a NEED.. its really on choice and Preference..

There are reports of captive reproduction in pumilio as early as 1969 and the first successful rearing was reported in 1978 see the references reported here http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=l24802272473q160&size=largest

CRAP!! sorry!!! my bad!! I should have been MORe specific!!! ( VERY COOL article ) Thank you for sharing!!! I lived Köln Germany for 3 years. I loved it.. food was great. Traveled to Amsterdam ( for the brownies.... joke... but not really) loved the Netherlands vivarium shows.. ( just moved back to this US 3 months ago. was working over seas...) im still a bit " shell shocked to speak) They really are amazing with the Vivaria and dart frogs..

to Clarify.... ED IS RIGHT!!! ( what I was thinking and what I wrote.. were VERY different. YIKEs.. Patrick is one of the FEW U.S " Hobbyists" unlike us little people to breed and sell them ( within our Hobby here in the U.S) but captivity... ED IS RIGHT

·
Registered
230 Posts

You do not NEED full Spectrum. but with my experience with plants and bringing out the ( Vibrant" colors in Broms, Orchids.... I have found Great success with my plants over 7 years working with them.. but you are right.. NOT NEEDED its more for the asthetic to the eye.. for the colors and the " Daylight look" ... than a NEED.. its really on choice and Preference..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ed.. speaking of which ( I know you will roll your eyes... but seriously... I am building a Canopy ( where the lights react to music ) so I am using a kit that reacts to sound effects.. its very cool to watch the misters go on and the " lightening " look with the thunder sounds..I have two speakers being installed.inside and flushed with the canopy . its taking me a long time.. but got the kit from Lighting enhance designs... ( and no.. its not needed for plants.. lol) if you can get past the " compton music gone wild" here is an example... when i get the videos up. I will let you know

Dave

LED Sound Reacting Light Strip Kits: LED Music Lights

YouTube - BarLightingDOTcom's Channel

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
You do not NEED full Spectrum. but with my experience with plants and bringing out the ( Vibrant" colors in Broms, Orchids.... I have found Great success with my plants over 7 years working with them.. but you are right.. NOT NEEDED its more for the asthetic to the eye.. for the colors and the " Daylight look" ... than a NEED.. its really on choice and Preference..

The intensity of the lighting is pretty important.. to get the plants to color up the best, you ideally want more intensity from the bulbs so T5HOs are usually a good choice for coloration (also distance to the light can be important so taller enclosures have coloration issues with the plants at lower levels). It really ends up with what is your budget and what is important.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts