Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 1st let me enterduse myself. My name is Joey and new to the art of keeping darts and vivs. Ive been keeping reef tanks for the last 10yrs and building aquariums for a small tank manufacturing company for the last 1 1/2. I see there are a lot of saltheads or exsaltheads on here. :D

Im more of a reader than a poster mainly because Im a chicken pecker at typing :eek: I need a lil help on some info I cant find.
I plan on starting with a small group of(4) leucs if yall think the tank is big enough its a 20x20x24(41g) that I built out of some scrap glass around the shop.Wish I could of done a front opening tank but all we had was 3/8 glass and its just to heavy for that.

Im needing some help with plants that will work well with leucs? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

the only ones I see for sale they are froglets. So would it be best to set them up in a grow out until they get bigger before putting them in the bigger tank?
If so whats the best setup for doing this?
Also whats the best way for setting up a QT?
Im almost finished with the tank still have to order plants and bugs.I dont plan on getting frogs till spring or later just want to get everything ready ahead of time and have a plan. Ill order FF a month before I plan on getting frogs to get them going.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is best to grow frogs in a small area to observe their eating activity and growth. It also makes it easier for the smaller frogs to find food. Putting them in a larger tank can be done, but only if you can feed them easily, monitor them closely, and have no places that they can disappear for long peroids or forever. I would put them in a small container. There are many threads here that help inform you of starting our. just use the search function and type froglet care, or starting out. You will see them. I keep my froglets in a small plastic container the size of a shoe box. I use something to retain moisture in the bottom. They do well. When they are larger and healthier, they can go into the large tank. Also, many people will have larger frogs from time to time if you just ask. I have had four to five month old froglets available before. Good luck and welcome to the addiction of dart frogs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is best to grow frogs in a small area to observe their eating activity and growth. It also makes it easier for the smaller frogs to find food. Putting them in a larger tank can be done, but only if you can feed them easily, monitor them closely, and have no places that they can disappear for long peroids or forever. I would put them in a small container. There are many threads here that help inform you of starting our. just use the search function and type froglet care, or starting out. You will see them. I keep my froglets in a small plastic container the size of a shoe box. I use something to retain moisture in the bottom. They do well. When they are larger and healthier, they can go into the large tank. Also, many people will have larger frogs from time to time if you just ask. I have had four to five month old froglets available before. Good luck and welcome to the addiction of dart frogs.

Thanks. I know most grow out in a small container but I cant find info on how they are keeping them at correct temps? Or room temp OK? My house stays around 69-72.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Your room temps are good. Monitor your vivarium temps and try to keep them in the low to mid 70s.

You should also be fine putting your leucs in the new tank. Set up a feeding station to keep the flies at an easily accessible spot... Eventually, your frogs will come to that spot to feed...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.060913,-117.283356

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
First off, welcome! As far as at setup, I personally feel it's best to use paper towls on the bottom with some very clean leaf litter. Put a hide at one end, and a slice of banana on the other. This will, in theory, keep the flies in one area where the froglets can easily find them. Using paper fowls instead of a more natural substrate, such as sphagnum, will help fecals coke back true. Once they get a clean bill of health, you can change them over to sphagnum or whatever medium you prefer. I would feel comfortable putting 4 leucs in a 41 as soon as I see them actively hunting and doing other froggy things. Tue point is, you don't want them in an enclosure where food may be difficult for a young froglet to locate.

For temps, generally the viv will be a few degrees warmer than the room it's in. 75 seems like a good temp to shoot for. Basically, if you are comfortable, your frogs probably will be, too.

Make sure you get your flies and start practicing culturing them well before you purchase flany frogs. I also highly recommend you get some springs and isos. Best of luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your room temps are good. Monitor your vivarium temps and try to keep them in the low to mid 70s.

You should also be fine putting your leucs in the new tank. Set up a feeding station to keep the flies at an easily accessible spot... Eventually, your frogs will come to that spot to feed...

---
I am here: Google Maps
Thanks

First off, welcome! As far as at setup, I personally feel it's best to use paper towls on the bottom with some very clean leaf litter. Put a hide at one end, and a slice of banana on the other. This will, in theory, keep the flies in one area where the froglets can easily find them. Using paper fowls instead of a more natural substrate, such as sphagnum, will help fecals coke back true. Once they get a clean bill of health, you can change them over to sphagnum or whatever medium you prefer. I would feel comfortable putting 4 leucs in a 41 as soon as I see them actively hunting and doing other froggy things. Tue point is, you don't want them in an enclosure where food may be difficult for a young froglet to locate.

For temps, generally the viv will be a few degrees warmer than the room it's in. 75 seems like a good temp to shoot for. Basically, if you are comfortable, your frogs probably will be, too.

Make sure you get your flies and start practicing culturing them well before you purchase flany frogs. I also highly recommend you get some springs and isos. Best of luck.
Thanks. I plan on getting some springs and isos in the next couple weeks and will wait on the FF as Im still working on setting up there home and want it to grow in a bit before I get frogs plus wanted to wait till the weather warmed up before ordering any frogs. Ill order FF at least a month before getting frogs so I can get the hang of them and wont get frogs until I get them going

1 - 6 of 6 Posts