Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've been creeping around the forum for a while now and thought I should make myself known. I recently finished my first build, a 20 long that is a grow out tank for some Tincs I received from a friend. It's somewhat minimalist but I didn't want to over due it, and as I understand it young tincs prefer the leaf litter anyways.

So without further ado:

I went with a one inch false bottom that has a trap door to drain in front right. Used a piece of driftwood and a thin Great Stuff background. I attempted to carve the foam so it looked like a continuation of the driftwood and it kinda worked... I ended up using ABG substrate mostly covered in magnolia leaves with some cuttings of Fittonia, Pothos, Pilea (Don't think its going to last) Ficus "creeping fig" and an epiphyte which I have no clue what it is.

I introduced the five froglets I was given on Sunday and on day two I saw four of them patroling the leaf litter for flies already. Watched one of the froglets get outfoxed by a fruit fly which was rather entertaining...

Here are a couple pictures of the inhabitants:

So I would ask for opinions on two things: To place more leaf litter or not to place, that is the question. They do so like hiding under it when I open the top. I also forgot to seed springtails in advance, do you thing it's possible to get them established while the froglets are in there? I have a feeling they will get eaten pretty quickly...

Any questions, comments or suggestions would be appreciated before I start working on the 40 gallon I got at Petco during the $ per gallon sale. Thanks for taking the time to read my first post!

-David

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Looks like a great start. It looks like you could use a little more leaf litter. Besides your frogs appreciating it, more leaf litter will help your chances of the microfauna establishing itself in your vivarium. Its not too late for seeding with springs. Try adding the springs after the frogs have gone to rest with the lights off. Also to help establish springtails, sprinkle yeast underneath the leaf litter in a place that is incaccessable by your frogs.

I know you've been keeping an eye on the forums for a while, but welcome to dendroboard.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
That's a good start David it looks good.
I've always been a fan of fittonias.
I think it's great for a grow out tank.
I'm glad you've been lurking around and been doing your research.
You've paid attention more than most people who don't use ABG mix right off.
They try to find alternatives but there isn't any.
Tank looks great for your first viv.
I would cover the entire floor with leaf litter.

For your 40g build I would do some net pots in the background and put some broms, tillandsias, cryptanthus and whatnot and get you some nice ground cover plants.
Maybe more than one peice of driftwood.
From what I've heard 5 is too many for that tank 20L. Just a bit tho.
Can't wait to see you 40g build thread.
We like details and lots of pics :)

Welcome to the forum David

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the positive replies so far, I'll definitely be putting more leaf litter and trying to get springs going then. About five being too many, the thought had occurred but I wasn't sure since they are so young. I set up two feeding stations and I've been keeping an eye on them watching for aggression issues. They were all out this morning hunting and seem to be playing nice but I have a container, sphagnum, and a large Pothos on standby if needed.

Thanks for the welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts