Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought someone might like to see my new little golden mantella :) It is just starting to turn colors, I can't wait for it to get orange and fat, like a pumpkin!
I only have the one because I didn't have enough cash on hand to buy more when I got it... but that will change soon! I am planning on getting probably 5 more or so.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Congrats on the Mantella! I have a group of five in my kitchen and it sounds like my house is infested by little crickets! Very sweet frogs and pretty bold.

Good luck in getting some more (there are a number of froggers around breeding them now, so people don't have to buy wild-collected frogs any more).

Take care, Richard.

·
Registered
344 Posts
good luck with your little golden they are such great frogs and really bold always right out in the open. Hope you can get a small breeding group together.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I would like to get a breeding group of all captive bred goldens together. If I can manage to get most of them from separate people, I think I'll be happy. I'd be even happier if I could get them all from people who I didn't have to ship the frogs from.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congrats on the Mantella! I have a group of five in my kitchen and it sounds like my house is infested by little crickets! Very sweet frogs and pretty bold.

Good luck in getting some more (there are a number of froggers around breeding them now, so people don't have to buy wild-collected frogs any more).

Take care, Richard.
I too have a group of five, very cool frogs but not a peep from mine yet, hopefully they are to young to start calling yet.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I too have a group of five, very cool frogs but not a peep from mine yet, hopefully they are to young to start calling yet.
Richard got 'stuck' with 5 males. If you have 5 females, I know he'd love to swap. I was going to, but I am getting breeding and fear I would give him my only producing female(s).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already noticed at least one of the goldens calling. Seems like there are two distinct body shapes. The skinnier frogs are the calling males, and hopefully the chubbier ones are females with some eggs. We will see.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Congratulations on these! I am so in love with these mantellas, I want them to be my next addition. I hope you've got yourself a pair and lots of success.

·
Registered
708 Posts
A few questions on your mantellas... What are you keeping them in? & What are you feeding them?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Wow cool frog I wanted to get a golden mantella as my first ever frog but I ended up getting GTF's

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few questions on your mantellas... What are you keeping them in? & What are you feeding them?
I have all 4 in a 20 gallon. I am feeding them with melanogaster fruit flies, springtails and the occasional small isopod. They are pretty young still, I've seen golden mantellas get much bigger than mine. I think they'd probably be able to eat pinhead crickets when they get full size.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
oooh the COLOR!!
they are stunning!! make many babies little frogs!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty sure this one has a belly full of eggs now...

I've been hearing calling too, so maybe we'll see some results.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Aw gorgeous frogs.

Is that pennywort??? that's a great idea...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aw gorgeous frogs.

Is that pennywort??? that's a great idea...
Thanks. Yep, pennywort makes a good plant for really wet areas. It can take over, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts