Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to studying the forum and getting ideas for my 24x24x24 60gl.
Ideas and suggestions are welcome

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have any ideas for which species you want? With that size tank you can pretty much accommodate anything. Tincs are always pretty hardy and I particularly like the green sipaliwini morph, but of course the choice is yours. Also, if you're looking for simple background ideas, hygrolon is a mesh type fabric designed to mimic tree bark. If you attach it to the back wall of the tank any vine should have no trouble climbing it and eventually completely covering the entire surface. Looking forward to how the tank turns out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea Auratus Colombia is my first choice actually. But im having trouble finding them. Also im wondering if there are any new techniques in the hobby since ive been reading alot of posts from 10-15 years ago. And Thanks for the hygrolon tip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't really know where to find auratus, Joshs Frogs has a lot of different morphs on their website but a lot of them are out of stock. And if I had more tips to give I would, but I am fairly new in the hobby as well and keep most of my tanks pretty simple. I hope you can find some Auratus Colombia!

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
Welcome, Takeo!
Some of the changes in the hobby I can think of is that husbandry has leaned much more toward a more ventilated tank with leaf litter substrate as opposed to a sealed tank 15 years ago. There are a lot of new and different frog species/locales available now (and I am sure we have lost plenty, too). Supplements have really come along, too, to the point where it is rare to have any mention of Spindly Leg Syndrome on the board. Finally, don't fall victim to the recent trend to return to a layer of wet sphagnum in the leaf litter. We moved past that, but now a group of ill-informed influencers and companies are advocating it again.

I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome, Takeo!
Some of the changes in the hobby I can think of is that husbandry has leaned much more toward a more ventilated tank with leaf litter substrate as opposed to a sealed tank 15 years ago. There are a lot of new and different frog species/locales available now (and I am sure we have lost plenty, too). Supplements have really come along, too, to the point where it is rare to have any mention of Spindly Leg Syndrome on the board. Finally, don't fall victim to the recent trend to return to a layer of wet sphagnum in the leaf litter. We moved past that, but now a group of ill-informed influencers and companies are advocating it again.

I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Mark
Mark,

I'm new to frogs and have a layer of mosses above my substrate, is this not a good idea? Why?

·
Super Moderator
2,685 Posts
Welcome to the board, Jaice :) The layer is completely unnecessary and it stores water, wets your substrate, and makes it more difficult to maintain your humidity in the correct range (60-80%, not 100%). It is a throw-back to the 90s when completely sealed tanks were the norm and is, for some reason, being resurrected by certain companies and YouTube channels. I would pull it out. You leaf litter can just sit right on top of your substrate.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts