Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest members of the family - 3 beautiful little retics courtesy of Quality Captives. Thanks to Sarah and Melissa for all their help!!

Bill

·
Registered
621 Posts
Nice little frogs. How old, and how are you planning on raising them? Is the one with spots considerably smaller, be extra careful if so. These guys can go south in a hury. Mine were spotless, and in the perfect little springtail tub/holding viv. I kept em in there for about 2 more months, then put em in 10 gal.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That one just hasnt lost the color spots yet, did you set up the holding dish like mine. That was perfect, how old are they.

G

·
0 Posts
Jace,

Some retics dont loose the spots on their back and Im sure the the girls at QC sent Bill home with exactly what he needed for these guys. If you'd bothered to read Bill's signiture line under the pics you would have seen that Bill and his family have quite a few frogs. They are more than experienced enough to handle raising retics.

Matt

·
Registered
621 Posts
Outlaw vizla to the rescue. I wasnt saying anything negative about bill or QC. I just think this is a special frog that needs special attentions. I would however say something negative to you, but I KNOW you would just go run off to the mods and whine about it.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I agree with Jace here. I read that comment to mean be careful with small retics because they are very delicate! Even if Bill knows how to raise them, others can benefit from that snipet of info. Just to let you know, I would say the same about other thumbnails species (fantasticus and Panguanas). People sure are getting froggy around here so be careful because one might jump.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Melissa made us a very nice temporary holding container with moss, leaves, and seeded it with springtails. We've added a few film containers for additional hiding places. Melissa also imparted some very good advice and of course, we were asked to contact QC if we had any issues.

So far they seem to be doing fine and are very visible and active during the day. We'll be monitoring them very closely and probably keeping them in this enclosure for 1-2 months depending on how they seem to be doing. Their final home will be a well planted 15 gallon high.

As Melissa mentioned, they are all around the same age and have been out of the water for a little over 2 months.

We have a lot of PDFs but I'll still call myself a newbie since I'm constantly learning :wink: I'm well aware of the delicate nature of Retics and admit to being a bit daunted. However our other thumbs, including our Panguana are doing well so hopefully I'll muddle through 8) I take no offense whatsoever to being given advice.

Bill

·
Registered
291 Posts
booga said:
I have to be honest, with much shame I jason admit I am suffering from frog envy. :cry:
good luck with those!

jason
Jason, I'm not ashamed to admit I envy him for at least one frog on his list. You shouldn't be ashamed either. :wink:

Bill, you do such a nice job with your other little ones that I'm sure you'll do fine with these. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love retics, the bright red just POPS!

Do retics prefer to be in tall vivariums, I heard they like to roam. making a horizontal tank more suitable. Anyone care to comment?

Thanks,
~Harry

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harry,

My understanding is that Retics tend to be terrestial but I've already noticed a tendency to climb some even in their temporary setup. Heck I've got Tincs that love to climb as well so go figure :p

My thinking in eventually moving them into a 15 gallon high is that it allows for some larger plants (read taller growing) while keeping the floor space substantially open for them to roam around. I'll try to take a pic later and post it so you see what I mean.

Bill

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good thinking!
Please do post a pic, I like seeing how people set up their vivariums. Sounds like yours will be nice- big, tall plants, very aesthetically appealing.
~Harry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts