Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New-ish, I should say. I picked up a probable pair of Oophaga typographica Blue Jeans from Shawn Harrington back in June. They have always been one of my favorite frogs I've never had an opportunity to work with. Partially because CB Blue Jeans have been historically hard to find (at least for me over the years). My pair is actually WC, which I wanted to shy away from, but Shawn treats and quarantines all of his imports. I will say he is the only reason I even considered WC an option.

The male is very shy, I almost never see him and he is impossible to photograph. He does call all day long to let me know he live and well, however. The female is a little more bold and I can catch her out in the open usually every morning. As suspected, my probable pair is now a confirmed pair as of last night. I was super excited for find a clutch of 13 eggs in one of their film canisters! I'm keeping my fingers crossed the eggs are good and I'll find some tads in the near future. I'll try to keep a close eye on the eggs and provide an update.

Poison dart frog Frog Plant Vertebrate True frog

Poison dart frog Frog Liquid True frog Plant

Plant Leaf Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
949 Posts
13 eggs. That girl is not f'n around. I think the largest clutch I ever got out of my pumilio was 5. Congrats!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe somebody way more knowledgeable can chime in, but my hypothesis is that since this is her first clutch in at least the 5 months that I've had them, she had been developing eggs for quite a while without an opportunity to lay them. She hasn't had tads to feed, and is paired with a very skittish male, maybe it took them a while to feel comfortable. My completely unscientific opinion, however. I'm interested to see what future clutches look like, and how many, if any in this clutch make it to tadpoles. She certainly can't feed 13 tads.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A bit of good news/bad news to update. The entire clutch from the picture molded over last week so I ended up throwing it out. Just this morning however, I spotted the female transporting a tad. I was unable to grab a picture before she hid in a film canister. I'll probably give them some space over the next couple days to not disturb them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts