Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm Kimmie. I was just given 3 vivariums with dart frogs. I've been reading all I can to properly care for them. Hope to learn more here! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hello!

What species of frogs are in the tanks?
I'm pretty sure one vivarium has 3 auratis, (Nicaraguan Green and Black?) another vivarium has 2 azureus tincs, and the last vivarium has 2 robertus tincs. I'm not sure if I'm listing the names correctly, so I hope it's understandable. I believe they are all froglets and one adult auratis. I have 6 more froglets coming too: 2 Lucomela (Bumblee?), 2 Giant Orange tincs, and finally Phyllobates terribillis (Yellow). Each vivarium has a moring gecko as well. Feel free to correct me on any of the names. I'm here to learn!

Registered
Wow, that's quite a collection! Are you getting new tanks or combining species? Do you have any photos?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that's quite a collection! Are you getting new tanks or combining species? Do you have any photos?
I'm going to combine the froglets temporarily until I can get three new vivariums going. I was told that was ok? Please tell me if I'm wrong about this. Is this too many to keep, or do people usually just keep a few?

Registered
I think that's probably fine (eg, combine them for a little bit) - TBC there are many people with FAR more experience than me here on the forums.

My biggest concern (if I were you) is that you went from 0 to 13 froglets in the span of ?days? without tons of time to prep: things like "what happens if you accidentally kill off your fruit fly cultures?" or "don't know how to get the misting cycle right" etc - suddenly the impact or cost of any mistake is magnified - because of learning and experimenting with 1, 2, 3 frogs - you're doing it with 13.

I (in my second entrance to the hobby) started with 4 thumbnail frogs and experimented with fruit fly culture timing, maintaining springtails, misting schedules, and vivarium maintenance. After 4 months of that, I added 3 Oophaga to the collection.

Of course you can do whatever works for you - my biggest thing would be making sure that you're able to learn and experiment without putting 13 frogs at risk just due to being new and learning!

(I have 0 experience with the gecko/frog co-habitation and care)

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I think that's probably fine (eg, combine them for a little bit) - TBC there are many people with FAR more experience than me here on the forums.

My biggest concern (if I were you) is that you went from 0 to 13 froglets in the span of ?days? without tons of time to prep: things like "what happens if you accidentally kill off your fruit fly cultures?" or "don't know how to get the misting cycle right" etc - suddenly the impact or cost of any mistake is magnified - because of learning and experimenting with 1, 2, 3 frogs - you're doing it with 13.

I (in my second entrance to the hobby) started with 4 thumbnail frogs and experimented with fruit fly culture timing, maintaining springtails, misting schedules, and vivarium maintenance. After 4 months of that, I added 3 Oophaga to the collection.

Of course you can do whatever works for you - my biggest thing would be making sure that you're able to learn and experiment without putting 13 frogs at risk just due to being new and learning!

(I have 0 experience with the gecko/frog co-habitation and care)
Thank you so much for your advice. I've been culturing the flies and springtails for a month or two in preparation. (There's also a reptile store with ff just down the street.) The 3 vivariums were all set up when they came - thank goodness. I already have the 6 so maybe I should say no to the other six. Very good point!

Super Moderator
I would not combine the froglets unless their safety was in danger in the vivs they are currently in. Each species, and each morph, should be kept separately.

Also, it would be best for all the animals to remove the mourning geckos from the frog vivs, and set them all up in their own group viv. They are social with each other, and should not be kept alone. Also, they do better drier and warmer than dart frogs. Also, there is a real predation risk on hatchling geckos from larger frogs (especially terribs). Also, once the geckos begin laying eggs, they will likely require a viv teardown in order to be removed, so now is the time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I went ahead and took the other 6 frogs - couldn't say no to free frogs - these guys are already addictive. Keeping the live food going has been the hardest part for me. Several of my ff cultures crashed (I was keeping them on the light fixture and I think they got too hot - I didn't even think about that.) I started a couple cultures of isopods too. Now I'm looking into pinhead crickets. The bugs are more work than the frogs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts