Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just received three new ferns and got them mounted onto some cork. Eventually they will go in a large build I have planned, but that won't happen for quite a while.

The species I received are Davallia repens and heterophylla, and Elaphoglossum peltatum 'Mexico'.

This is my first time try to mount ferns like this. I shoved some sphag into some cracks in the cork and mounted the rhizome on top of that. I secured the fern with red fishing line.

So, the rhizome is mounted on top of the sphag, not wrapped with sphag. I hope this is the right way to do it.

Take a look and please offer any comments or criticism. I really don't want to kill these right away...

Right now they are in a plant grow out take. I'll keep the humidity high, and it is adequately lit.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
That looks pretty OK, although I would use larger mounts so that they have more room to spread. I would have also attached more sphagnum to hold more moisture, but they might be alright if you water frequently.

Be careful you don't wrap the rhizomes too tight with thread or you will kill them. I tie plants on real loose.

E. peltatum grows best for me in a 3" net pot filled with fresh sphagnum.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hydrophyte, do you bury the rhizomes of E. paltatum in the sphagnum in the net pots, or lay the rhizomes on top? I assume you keep the sphagnum moist?

Thanks,
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts