Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I RECENTLY NOTICED AN INFESTATION OF SMALL (-1mm) INSECTS IN A BAG OF OAT BRAN. I WAS GOING TO THROW THEM OUT BUT THEN DECIDED TO TRY THEM ON MY FROGLETS. THEY LOVE EM ! THEY ARE ABOUT 1/2 THE SIZE OF A D.melanogasters HEAD !! GREAT FOR BABY THUMBNAILS. RICHARD FROM BLACK JUNGLE IS GOING TO GET ME A GOOD PIC OF THEM WITH HIS PHOTO LOUPE. HE HAS NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THEM AND IS PRETTY EXCITED ABOUT THE WHOLE THING. THEY LOOK ALMOST LIKE VERY TINY TERMITES. THEY ARE DEFINITLY NOT MITES OF ANY KIND NOR ARE THEY GRAIN BEETLES.
HAS ANYONE EVER HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THESE ? DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ?
I'LL POST PICS WHEN I GET THEM.
THANKS
JOHNNY
THIS ISLAND EARTH HERPETOCULTURE

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Johnny,

No offense, but writing in all capital letters is considered yelling. Don't know if you were aware of this, but some people are very offended by this.

Melis

JOHNNY said:
I RECENTLY NOTICED AN INFESTATION OF SMALL (-1mm) INSECTS IN A BAG OF OAT BRAN. I WAS GOING TO THROW THEM OUT BUT THEN DECIDED TO TRY THEM ON MY FROGLETS. THEY LOVE EM ! THEY ARE ABOUT 1/2 THE SIZE OF A D.melanogasters HEAD !! GREAT FOR BABY THUMBNAILS. RICHARD FROM BLACK JUNGLE IS GOING TO GET ME A GOOD PIC OF THEM WITH HIS PHOTO LOUPE. HE HAS NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THEM AND IS PRETTY EXCITED ABOUT THE WHOLE THING. THEY LOOK ALMOST LIKE VERY TINY TERMITES. THEY ARE DEFINITLY NOT MITES OF ANY KIND NOR ARE THEY GRAIN BEETLES.
HAS ANYONE EVER HAD EXPERIENCE WITH THESE ? DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ?
I'LL POST PICS WHEN I GET THEM.
THANKS
JOHNNY
THIS ISLAND EARTH HERPETOCULTURE

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
:lol: A potential new feeder insect is worth yelling about :!: :wink:
But seriously, heads up, Johnny.
That would be awesome to have another "culturable" feeder, definatly keep us posted.
Any entemologists on the board?

G

·
Heh, yelling in capitol letters. On the chat this one guy puts it in capitol letters cause cant read it. I was wondering (no offense) but if i put " thanks" like "THANKS", is the captolization of thanks yelling rudely?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've seen something similar to what your describing in an old dog biscuit container. Probably the same thing....I'll see what I can dig up...

G

·
Are they a mealworm type larvae? If so they're probobly Alphitobius diaparinus commonly called buffalo worms, I found these in my hissing cockroach colony and am working on culturing them too.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sounds like they are pretty easy to culture seeing that they just pop up there :lol:

Got me excited thats for sure!

Ryan

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey Johnny,
I would be interested in the little booggers. Please keep me posted. Oh by the way. Type the way you want to.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
frogsintn said:
Hey Johnny,
I would be interested in the little booggers. Please keep me posted. Oh by the way. Type the way you want to.
Yeah, it's kind of getting old with people getting pissy about the caps in EVER post that he starts. Maybe he just likes to type that way, or can't see it good if he doesn't, or he might need a new keyboard because the caps key is stuck. Who cares! Good luck with the little bugs though Johnny. I just hope that no one ever has to deal with these damn moths that I have everywhere! :evil: They just popped up out of nowhere and now they are culturing themselves in my mealworm bins. I HATE THEM!! And have no idea how to get rid of them. Oh well.

-Shelley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts