Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i decided to take my research into fly media a step in the i wanna see direction. i took an old recipe and twiked it.

applesauce
potato flakes
methoparaben
rephasy
water and vinegar

jsut wanted to see if it would make a difference in the flies and the mold that everyone has spoken of. i found my mold problem to be the what i was using as a climbing base for the flies. well post pics as soon as i take them. happi reading:D

·
Registered
802 Posts
Good luck. I had some mold in my last two cultures because I moved them to somewhere with less airflow and less light. I added some vinegar to the mix (Already had methylparaben) and it cleared it all up. New culture looks nigh immaculate for a bug infested plop of potato goop in a cup.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I'm curious as to why people think light will prevent mold in a ff culture...............

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
well, i decided to take my research into fly media a step in the i wanna see direction. i took an old recipe and twiked it.

applesauce
potato flakes
methoparaben
rephasy
water and vinegar

jsut wanted to see if it would make a difference in the flies and the mold that everyone has spoken of. i found my mold problem to be the what i was using as a climbing base for the flies. well post pics as soon as i take them. happi reading:D

Why are you adding Repashy?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Because it's based on personal experience. Light and airflow are the only two factors that changed for my cultures. That said, the addition of vinegar counterbalanced whatever it was that increased mold growth.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Because it's based on personal experience. Light and airflow are the only two factors that changed for my cultures. That said, the addition of vinegar counterbalanced whatever it was that increased mold growth.

Isn't this the same reasoning that was used for spontaneous generation? As an example, a dirty shirt, and grain placed in a dark enviroment eventually generates mice....

Ed

·
Registered
802 Posts
Isn't this the same reasoning that was used for spontaneous generation? As an example, a dirty shirt, and grain placed in a dark enviroment eventually generates mice....

Ed
True, but that's not to say that there's still not any merit to the conclusions based on that reasoning. For instance in your example, if you don't want mice, don't leave grain sitting around on dirty sheets in dark environments. That's not to say that's the only way nor all you'd have to do to keep mice out, but wouldn't that help?

It seems to me more of a correlatory approach than anything else though. And yes I know that correlation means little when it comes to the topic of causation.

·
Banned
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's a test i wanna see if the term you r what you eat hold true in bugs, we gute load crickets wil;l it hurt to see if the flies will hold some nutritional quality....:)

Why are you adding Repashy?

·
Banned
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and i agree with peanut i've had that happen with test cultures i've done before as far as light heat darkness etc. no light no air flow brings about mold....at least for me

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
No Brewers Yeast? What is your source of protein? Not enough in the potato flakes for really good production.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
it's a test i wanna see if the term you r what you eat hold true in bugs, we gute load crickets wil;l it hurt to see if the flies will hold some nutritional quality....:)

You are aware that the gut transient time (time to empty the gut of all contents) in fruit flies is less than 6 hours? In addition to that you cannot change thier calcium to phosphorus ratio as they have a very efficient method of excreting the excess calcium, the flies also do not store D3 (assuming any is left after the microbes and larval secreted enzymes haven't degraded it).

You also need to be careful about what is added to the media as you can shift the required nutrients of the flies into becoming unproductive.

In addition where are you sending the flies for analysis?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I wonder where FF larva get protein from in the wild? Since most fruit is less than 1% protein by weight.

From yeasts and other microbes that are decomposing the fruit. This is why protein is a limiting ingredient (although if you add to much protein to the media it will cause it to do poorly).

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I was told that the flies carry some yeast with them on their legs when you make new cultures. Is there any truth to that?

They not only carry it on thier bodies, the literature indicates that the resting spores can pass through the digestive tract undigested which is another source for inoculation.. the adding of live yeast to the culture before you add the flies is important as it serves two different functions, the first is that it helps keep down unwanted fungal or microbe growth and the second is that it encourages the flies to lay eggs earlier.

All of this has been covered on the forum several times.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
In my experience making many (MANY!) fruitfly cultures, it is contaminated yeast that causes unwanted mold species to pop-up in the cultues. Since I sterilize the cultures and excelsior together by microwaving them, the only way that mold spores can get into the cultures is by contaminated yeast. I also work hard to keep my fruitflies free of mold spores (i.e. don't use contaminated fruitflies to make up new cultures).

Just my experience, Richard.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts