Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw these new Exo Terra vivariums on sale at Petsmart so I picked one up. It is 18x18x18, and comes drilled for a bulk head on the bottom (comes with the bulkhead and tubing), and Monsoon ready. This will be my second build. My first build I learned a lot and made plenty of mistakes. My first vivarium I built I did with GS, silicone, and coco fiber. This build I silicone'd pieces of cork bark to the back wall, and will fill in the tubes and cracks under the cork bark with some GS. I have some sphagnum moss I will jam in-between the cork bark flats to better hold moisture for plants. I learned from the GS background on my first vivarium that it doesn't hold moisture well and makes the moss I'm trying to grow on the background a challenging task. I've attached a picture of the hard scape of the new build. I have not yet decided on what plants or frogs to put in it yet. I currently have a lemon button and green fantasy fern along with some wild mosses in my first vivarium. The frogs in my first build are tinc citronellas. Suggestions feedback welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Auratus "El Cope", R. benedicta, R. fantastica "LL", R variabilis "Southern", auratus "capurgana", l
23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trimmed excess GS and silicone'd over it and pressed in coco fiber. I filled any remaining gaps with sphagnum moss. Background finished, next is to get substrate in and pick what plants to put in.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drainage layer, substrate, and leaf litter in. I used LECA as a drainage layer and built up the back right corner and sloped it downwards. Substrate is Zilla Jungle mix, I have used it before and really like it. I'm thinking of putting some sheet moss on the background and that's it for the plants.

Things I learned during this build:
Always shake up the GS can well, I forgot to shake prior then remembered half way through. I had some GS pull back from the glass but since the cork back was siliconed to the glass it stayed put. That said I've had GS not stick even when shaken, so I may always silicone cork bark down first.
Make the background more 3 dimension with ledges and tubes to increase the usable space. I referenced @Socratic Monologue vivarium 101 ( Vivarium 101 ) thread for help during this build and found it very informative.

Time will tell how well the sphagnum moss will hold up. My hope is that long term the sheet moss will replace those areas that have sphagnum and that the sphagnum moss will help it grow faster.

Stocking:
I have a pair of Citronella tincs in a 36x18 viv I have tried to sell. I am considering keeping them and moving them to this viv and putting something like Phyllobates or Leucomelas that can be in a group in the 36x18 viv.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this build turned out and like the new Exo Terra terrariums. The one thing I do dislike about the new terrariums is how shallow the bottom area is.

Suggestions/feedback welcome

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,436 Posts
I referenced @Socratic Monologue vivarium 101 ( Vivarium 101 ) thread for help during this build and found it very informative.
Just FYI -- I just did the final edit and posting on this sheet, but it was written almost entirely by @Broseph , and other content contributors are listed on that sheet as well. I'll see if I can get it reposted to more clearly reflect to whom credit is due. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just FYI -- I just did the final edit and posting on this sheet, but it was written almost entirely by @Broseph , and other content contributors are listed on that sheet as well. I'll see if I can get it reposted to more clearly reflect to whom credit is due. :)
Thanks to all that were involved. It is one of the most helpful posts I have read here.

·
Administrator
5,436 Posts
Another FYI: the 'Viv 101' sheet is now posted by the person who deserves the lion's share of credit:

Thank you , @Broseph . :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts