Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

So I'm redoing some of my viv's and this is the first one.
I wanted to try the epiweb on this one. I don’t have pic's from the early stages but this is what I have done so far.

The bottom is egg crate sitting on plastic cups with some mesh on it and sealed all around with silicon.
There is a pump under the egg crate pumping water onto the epiweb.
I constructed a divider between the epiweb and the substrate so that the substrate won't wet from the dripping background and i'm going to fill it with gravel.
I'm going to cover it with EpiWeb moss mix
The mix is consisted of 60% ground sphagnum and 40% ground tropical mosses + seeds of Peperomias, Begonias and Gesneriads And I'm going to add a couple of Miniature epiphytic orchids on there.

The center peas is going to be a tree root that I'm going to construct from pipes and ropes covered with cement, paint & coco fiber.

Here is a short video of what I have so far..

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Re: New exo, epiweb back round..

It may be more informative for people who like and want to use the epiweb/drip wall technique if you had shown how your sectioned off the pump/drip area...nice start...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
good start! Is this your first time working with epiweb? What are your thoughts on it so far as to workability?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.
It's my first time working with the epiweb. Personally I think it's impossible to achieve a natural landscaping with it and that’s why I went on a flat background.
I'm more interested on trying the epiweb moss mix.

Anyway, I had some progress on the viv today, the plan is giving it a few more cotes of cement and then cover everything with coco fibers.
To be honest, I don’t really like the result so far and I'm thinking of tearing it out and do something different, maybe some vines coming down from the side walls.
The idea is planting apatite plants& moss on it eventually.

Before I'm starting over I would really appreciate your objective opinions on how this design looks so far.. I promises not to be offended..:)

Here it is:

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have a good ground to stand on, but thet "stump" doesnt have a natural shape to it.. You could do better ;) No offence.
Though, coverd with plants - it could work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya' that’s why I'm hesitant to start over.
Here's a video of some of my viv's I made a while back, you can see what I was going for on one of them (wasn't planted when I made this video). It was done the same way.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i actually like the start of the liana base. if you are going for a stump look i agree that its not right, but i has the look of a large scale vine and i think that is nice to see for a change.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys.
It's my first time working with the epiweb. Personally I think it's impossible to achieve a natural landscaping with it and that’s why I went on a flat background.
I'm more interested on trying the epiweb moss mix.

Cool, ya Ive seen where they make rounded mounds of epiweb and secure them to the flat back ground to give it some texture and depth.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,

Here's a picture of what I have in mind.

I decided to finish what I started before I decide if I like it or not. So here is my progress for this weekend:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Take my advice do not start second guessing yourself..Go with what you got a run with it.
Most likely your base for vine will be buried in the Substrate anyways.

It will take a While to fill in but your Plants will grow in.
Take my advice plcce the Lights forward not Directly above the Pad because the plants at the Top will block out the Bottom.

Some people expressed some concerns about these type of Pads because there was a few people who had very small delicate frogs get caught in the Pad and die. For Large Frogs I think it not an issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks,

I wasn't aware there's a safety issue with the epiweb.

I added some vines to the structure and I hope it will be ready for planting next weekend.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little progress,
Added some vines and the drip system has been working for a few days with no problems so basically it's ready for substrate.

top view:

Also made venting for the exo hood:

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I really liked what you have done with the fan installed on your hood....can you explain how you did that...that's so cool looking...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks,

Really simple, I drilled a hole with a hole saw and glued the fan from the inside with silicon, drilled a small hole at the top for the wirers and.. tada..:)
I think it’s a must sins the lights produce allot of heat with no aeration batwing the hood and the modified sealed top.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A small update,

So, had the flu all week so not much progress. Started planting, different types of moss and some bromeliads not much yet but it’s a start..:)
You can see in this short video how it looks like today, I hope to complete planting this week..

Btw, the sides are going to be covered with black background.

You can also see my leucs froglets on this video..

Haven’t decided what to do with the epiweb safety issue yet.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As far as the epiweb issue... I've seen some people press a thin layer of clay/peat mixture into the surface of the epiweb to cover up some of the superficial "danger" fibers.

I don't seem to have any of those threads saved but I'll see what I can dig up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts