Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tarapotos have managed to leave me my second and third cluster of eggs. The first set some time back was infertile. This time she laid two eggs up on the canister wall as before and a second set that looks to be two in the water that is in the canister. It's really hard to tell as the algae has just covered the eggs in the water so I cannot see anything going on, is this OK or should I try to remove them? The second set seems to have one fertile egg in it as it has changed a bit since I took these pictures yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
In my experience, imitator eggs laid in the water have not survived. This is assuming the egg is completely submerged. If it is partially sticking out of the water, they may take. Being covered in algae is not a good sign though, sounds like the excess nutrients from bad eggs causing the algae.
My tarrapotos (Tor Linbo line) took forever to start doing anything. They are over a year old now an just getting going. I have two tads in the water and three more about to hatch. I got several bad batches of eggs from them before we saw this new success. I'm sure your success is right around the corner!! Hopefully from that one on the wall!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug, I can see development in the one egg, there is a tail showing, as for those other eggs, I'm guessing that they will not do anything although I did see some dark in one of the eggs before they became covered by the algae.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
A developing Tarapoto egg will be white in color. Even at hatching it should be a pale tan color. This leads me to think that your darkening egg was not good.:( Don't worry though, mine were throwing good eggs within a few short weeks of the first bad eggs we found.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Oh, I agree, that one is developing. The one in front is cloudy and not good. I was referring to the dark spot you mentioned in the "algae eggs" when I said it was not a good thing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jon,

Congrats on the eggs. Are you going to pull the egg or let them raise the tadpole? Give them lots of options for laying and rearing sites and they will produce well for you. I've had some success with clusters of film cans. You can try to place a film can directly in front of another one, giving them enough room to get in and out. Mine would use the "hidden" film can most of the time. My Imi tanks only have broms in them now. Lots of broms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts