Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just got 2 new young dendrobates tinctorius azureus and they seem to like the vivarium and jump around. But if I feed them dusted fruit flies they don't come to them. When they see the flies while running around they will eat them but they seem to keep a little distance to the front of the tank when someone is in the room.

Do they just need some time to get used to the new setting and me?

How can I make sure they eat enough?

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Houseplant Leaf vegetable

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its normal for them to be shy for a couple months in a new vivarium. Feed them where they are comfortable eating as to ensure they are getting proper fresh supplements. I would not try to force them to eat in a spot they are not comfortable yet. Wait a few months and they should be much bolder.

·
Administrator
5,116 Posts
I like to scatter FFs around as much as possible when I feed, using this method:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I scatter my flies too. I dump them up high across the length of the viv. That way there are flies at all levels of the vivarium. Supplements stay on flies for like 24 hours so there's no worry about them eating the flies immediately.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you're concerned whether they are getting enough to eat or that the flies are being eaten before wandering off, you can leave a small piece of fruit - a slice of banana or orange, perhaps others - somewhere in the tank that's easily accessible to the frogs. Any stray flies will eventually find the fruit and congregate there, making it an easy foraging spot for the frogs to consistently find.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you're concerned whether they are getting enough to eat or that the flies are being eaten before wandering off, you can leave a small piece of fruit - a slice of banana or orange, perhaps others - somewhere in the tank that's easily accessible to the frogs. Any stray flies will eventually find the fruit and congregate there, making it an easy foraging spot for the frogs to consistently find.
Great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts