Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a frog breeding project, www.natural-tanks.com . I have recently included D. auratus, field collected some Ancon Hill parentals and they layed a clutch of 7 tadpoles. At least I am on the track for an F1. The thing is, it has been one month since that clutch and they havent laid any more.

Feeding daily with D. hydei, and springtails. Supplementing Calcium plus and Supervite. Once every month I dust with Vitamin A plus. They are receiving about 20 minutes a day of misting (I use mistking). They have coconut huts, petri dishes and small cups with water. I have two males and females. Maybe M - F ratio shouldn't be 1:1?

Do i just need to be more patient? Or is there something I can do to induce breeding faster?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Patience is key..
First clutches were probably from stress of capture and moving them into their tank.

20 minutes listing is a lot! I personaly mist only 5x 5 sec a day max in my breeder tanks during 'wet'season. Of course this has a lot to do with the setup.

The best ratio is always 1.1 for frogs that don't live in group.

I saw you recommend using UV lamps aswell in another topic. I would highly recommend NOT to use this. There is a possibility your making your frogs sterile by exposing them to UV light. Wich could also explain whybyour not finding any clutches. Many of us have bred most frogs for over many years in large quantities without any UV exposure what so ever.

Greets.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
There is a possibility your making your frogs sterile by exposing them to UV light. Wich could also explain whybyour not finding any clutches.
Though I agree that UVB isn't strictly necessary here, I've not read a link between UVB and sterility, for any species. Do you know of any scientific findings that back this up? I'd be curious to see them.

Reactions: Tijl

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
@Tijl, that is a great link -- thanks for providing it. If anyone hunts down or has access to the papers that are cited on that page, posting them here would be a good location (and would keep this current thread from getting too far off base :)).

Reactions: Tijl

·
Registered
Mantella baroni, Dendrobates auratus, Afrixalus dorsalis, Theloderma corticale
177 Posts
@Tijl, that is a great link -- thanks for providing it. If anyone hunts down or has access to the papers that are cited on that page, posting them here would be a good location (and would keep this current thread from getting too far off base :)).
I probably have access to most of the papers listed. I'll have a look and will try to select the most relevant ones as there are a ton of papers listed :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts