Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first paludarium build, and I've got a 75 gallon standard tank. I'm about to sculpt a waterfall out of Styrofoam and then cover it with grout. The waterfall will be connected to the background. Now, my question: Should the background go all of the way to the bottom of the tank? Or just to where the false bottom starts? Since it's going to be grout, it will be pretty heavy compared to great stuff, so if it started at the bottom that would mean that the waterfall would have to go all of the way to the bottom as well, because the top of the waterfall will be about 7x7x24 cube that's in the corner of the tank, and the stream running down into the water will be integrated into the background and cut across the substrate and finally into the water. I hope I explained it clearly enough because I'm having trouble understanding what I just typed myself... I'll repeat the question so you don't have to take the time to look for it; should the cube part of the waterfall that I mentioned go all of the way to the bottom glass of the tank? Or should it only go to the top of the false bottom where the substrate begins? Because I'm guessing the 'cube' will be pretty heavy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would only bring it to where your false bottom is. Also make sure your pump can be accessed so if it were to clog or burn out over time, you can replace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed my mind, instead of carving the shape out of Styrofoam, then putting on grout, I'm going to put great stuff over the Styrofoam, then carve it, and then put grout on. I think this will be way easier than putting the grout over the Styrofoam because that Styrofoam is a huge pain to work with

·
Registered
986 Posts
Why not use a large pvc tube for the beginning shape. You can then bevel the bottom edge of it to allow water to enter. Cover that with a screen mesh to keep debris out. Then cover the rest with great stuff. Use a lot to be able to carve it down to the shape you want. If you do it this way you will always have very easy access to your pump as well as a nice drain port.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts