Dendroboard banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Not quite I suspect, but thanks:) Will add more photos as it develops.
Those pieces of wood were a real positive surprice. Picked free of charge, very dense and absolutely bug-free. I gather that the logs being alternately dry and wet have not allowed for any colonization, neither terrestrial nor aquatic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Desperately trying to grow some more moss.
The kids thought it best to keep the springtsils out...

IMG_20210113_165730.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks great! What's the plant in the first planted pic, on the ground, left side, with the dark purple flowers?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, work in progress.
I believe it is named Epidendrum capricornu. I had to move it to the upper right hand corner next to the Vanda sp. It was collecting water in the crown down there and did NOT like it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This is my dream set up!
Note that I am a beginner, so please read my comments accordingly:

The actual physical setup works well, easy access through hinged glass doors and the overall size is good for me with lots of room for plants.
I made one critical mistake though, I might have used the wrong type of wood for the centrepiece (old pine) and that has to be resolved somehow.

When having such a tall tank, lighting becomes an issue. I am currently running 3x90w Jungle Hobbies lights and an additional 3x50w grow bulbs. So over 400w to heat the tank from above. I live in a cold climate, but still I need 4 fans (2 blowing and 2 sucking) to constantly exchange the air. In addition there is an internal circulation fan. To accommodate the massive air exchange I have 22 nozzles that spray for a total of 6 minutes per day. Maybe 5-6 liters per day?
All in all this results in a tank with large temperature and humidity variation. It would work great for geckos for example, but not sure about frogs.

The question that I would like to find the answer to without experimenting with actual frogs is whether they would stay away from the warm and dry top 1/4 of the tank?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts