Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Exo Terra quickly became too small after plants started growing and multiplying. All the structures disappeared it just looked like a collection of greenery.
The new vivarium has the measurements 140 cm W x 60 cm D x 170 cm H. It is made from plastic and I will be able to use all three sides for cork and plants.
For structures I intend to use pine for the most part. The pine was collected from a large river close to where we live. River drift wood I suppose.

The wood, ready for assembly.

The vivarium is expected mid week

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the impression that the pine is very well cured. I have a large chunk in the home garden that has been out in the open for years and holds up perfectly! Submerged it may rot but with some daily fogging, I think you will not have problems!
I really want to see the result. You are sure to do something amazing with all that space!
Good luck!👍

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wont the pine break down really quickly?
Thanks, yes it is certainly not as durable as mangrove root for example, but as Leite says it has been cured for many, many years. It seems quite dense at least. Hopefully it will last a good while. Given the choice though I would have preferred some real hard wood of course.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is this terrarium built out of PVC board? As for the opening/front panel, are you using glass or plexi?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
733 Posts
Pretty cool build! My only concern is ventilation. I see some slits cut up top in the back and some more in front under the door but I would think you would want 5 times as much at a minimum.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this terrarium built out of PVC board? As for the opening/front panel, are you using glass or plexi?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
It must be PVC, although I'm not 100% sure. The front is Plexiglas right now, but I will most likely change to glass. Especially if these ones scratch easily.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty cool build! My only concern is ventilation. I see some slits cut up top in the back and some more in front under the door but I would think you would want 5 times as much at a minimum.
Thanks for the heads up, there will definitely be some trial and error before conditions are right. I have 4 fans on top that can either blow or suck. Timer or hydro-controlled. If not enough, the construction material is easy to cut and I can make some extra ventilation on the sides or in the back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like it very much!
If you allow me a tip, be daring with the placement of the wood, give it visual depth, try combinations even on the ceiling, to test. When you have the final placement, you will know instantly!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes thank you, I definitely will and I think it will become clearer as more things are added.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I'm following. Your cork background looks really good. Where/how did you come by such flat panels that still have such interesting texture?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These are 60x90 cm pressed cork panels. I ordered them online, they should definitely be available in the US? As time passes, they develop even more texture.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My son picked these fungi in the woods this summer, they look nice and made a difference to that right piece.
Now planting!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Around 60 plants added. A bit messy for sure. I expect some to die off and some to thrive, making it more uniform as time goes by. Some more bromeliads will be added later.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts