1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
They are a sharp looking frog.....

·
Registered
599 Posts
just ordered mine. :) so happy! the only thing holding me back from getting some was that UE doesn't usually offer them.... and now they do!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello,
Just to update this. Has anyone had any breeding success? I just got my first eggs from a pair that I received in the first offering from UE. I was wondering if anyone else had luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got a surprise today, thinking my trunks were too young for breeding. I was very surprised to see one carring a tad around. It was only for a second, so not a possitive id, as my group of 3 hide on me all the time.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Question, can I leave them be or should I pull them? I have 2 spots with water pools and could add a few more, would this be OK?

I'm not setup for tads yet, cause I thought that my trunks were only 6-8 months oow at the most.
Have a little food for tads atm almond leaves and tadbites. I will place an order for some Spirulina Powder anything else you can think of?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Hello,
Just to update this. Has anyone had any breeding success? I just got my first eggs from a pair that I received in the first offering from UE. I was wondering if anyone else had luck.
I just pulled my second clutch from them. First clutch was molded over when I found it. All 7 eggs appear to be developing perfectly. I didn't really do anything special, set them up with a cocohut and a petridish with a little bit of tanic water after I heard calling.

Great little frogs but I've found them to be quite shy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have two sets of tads going. My frogs are in heavily planted 15 gallon horizontal. There's a broad-leafed viner that the male will perch on and call from. I see them quite often but they will disappear if I get too close.

I didn't know mine were breeding until I saw transporting. The first clutch was laid in the leaf litter, the second on petri dish and now the third in the leaf litter as well. Rather than tear the tank apart, I've also given them a deeper water dish to deposit the tadpoles in. Its not pretty but eh, it works for them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i can't wait till my blue truncatus start breeding. they're very skittish. how big do they actually get before they start breeding? mine are about 4 to 5 months old. i also noticed that 3 like to hang out together and the 4th one hangs out alone. or sometimes they hang out in pairs.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
My Nilo group has laid their second good clutch. I think it is a 4.2 or maybe a 2.4. These frogs (F1s from the wild stock animals) are just enormous when compared with the two blue D truncatus groups I have. My blues run in at about a full inch or so, but the Nilo yellows are much larger (and bulkier) than the blues.

I'll post some photos of them tomorrow. Richard.

Reactions: thedude

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
The blue D truncatus mature at about 8-9 months and are about a full inch at maturity. Feeding the juveniles supplemented every day will help them put on some bulk for breeding.

Good luck with them. They are a SWEET frog!

Richard.

i can't wait till my blue truncatus start breeding. they're very skittish. how big do they actually get before they start breeding? mine are about 4 to 5 months old. i also noticed that 3 like to hang out together and the 4th one hangs out alone. or sometimes they hang out in pairs.

·
Registered
969 Posts
These new D. truncatus are a lot nicer in person, but I think they get overlooked from the get go. I'm guilty of that too, but no longer! lol It's hard to describe, but the clean body shape and markings are outstanding. I'm surprised at how bold they are too. They are just wonderful frogs. Since no one is posting pics, here's an okay one.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
thats awesome... makes me want yellow truncs too

These new D. truncatus are a lot nicer in person, but I think they get overlooked from the get go. I'm guilty of that too, but no longer! lol It's hard to describe, but the clean body shape and markings are outstanding. I'm surprised at how bold they are too. They are just wonderful frogs. Since no one is posting pics, here's an okay one.

·
Registered
781 Posts
What's the hobby consensus about mixing these new blood UE yellow trunks with the yellow truncs already in the hobby?

Yellow truncs have a large geographic distribution in the wild, but if there are not separate populations (morphs) in the wild, then despite the many years in between importations, the old yellow truncs and these new yellow truncs via UE would be considered the same population and can be bred together.

Yes or no?

Isn't this similar with say leucomelas, cobalt tincs, or campana auratus... Multiple years of importation, but from the same wild population, and so treated the same in the hobby and bred with each other.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts