Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm making a rock background with drylock and in need of some help.
I'm planning on using krylon make it stone spray paint black granite. It's non toxic after the fumes are gone which is about a week. And then sealing it wih matte uv resistant clear acrylic coating. Which is non toxic and has the same drying process. I want to see who has used it and what others think in using it. I tried dying the drylock with acrylic, no luck, and can't find proper concrete dye... Like I said I need help.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't know if those paints will hold up in a high humidity environment for frogs - and do not know if they are safe enough not to leach crap into the water. I do know that you can paint the drylock with acrylic as long as you use the non-toxic acrylics intended for kids (some pigments are quite dangerous). I believe that some of the gecko people have used stone paint sealed with arylic and its held up ok as far as I know HOWEVER, their tanks are much lower humidity and won't be exposed to the kind of moisture a frog tank would be, nor are geckos as fraglie as frogs since they don't absorb thing through their skin. i found concrete pigment (its a powder) in the regular old lowes or home depot here?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used that stuff for one of my Chameleon BGs and it worked fine. It was amazing that it sprayed out grit along with paint. However, like Beth said,.....that was not in a rainforest viv. That was in a screen enclosure. I think it would be fine but would not bet on running a waterfall on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm not planning to do a water feature yet but I've read a couple aquarium forums n the one used the uv resistant pray in the tank n was fine n same with the make it stone... I did read of ppl doing the same thing with heckled as well...I feel as if I'm one of the first to try since most threads are to cautious on the matter..im not doing any darts probably see if some of the more hardier frogs like fire bellies or gray trees...n go from their...it's an interesting subject that isn't answered or thoroly tried... Krylon fusion works plus the uv resistant keeps the paint from running. Everything started with one person taking the risk so why not...I'm going video it and place it on YouTube=dragorn2432

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i called krylon yesterday and they said as long as their isnt water running on it and you wait 30 days there shouldn't be any issues because the toxicity is gone out of the paint and the moisture shouldn't have an affect on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts