Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

So yesterday I attended Frog Day NYC and walked out with my first two azureus froglets! And as I am a noob, I also have some questions:

I have put both frogs in a plastic shoebox with moss and leaves and small plant cuttings for hiding. Is it OK to put the frogs together at this point? One frog is slightly larger than the other; one is about the size of a quarter and the other is about the size of a penny.

They both seem to be doing very well so far; they are both hopping around and are pretty active. I have observed the larger frog eating several fruit flies. I THINK I've seen the smaller one eating too, but I'm not sure -- I've seen him lunging at something I couldn't really see, and then wiping his face with his hands, and I believe this is a feeding behavior.

What are some signs I should look for that would indicate the frogs are stressed or not doing well? Also, I have a 20G terrarium that I'm preparing for them, and I was wondering if I have to wait till they're bigger to transfer them to the terrarium.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Congratulations!! :D

Since they are both small froglets, I think it's ok to keep them together in the box. Just make sure the small one eats. Do you have any springtails in there?

I think the issue with bigger tanks for froglets is that they may have difficulty chasing down food. However, it you put a few pieces of fruit in there for feeding stations, that should be ok. Again, just be sure to observe to make sure they are both eating.

Looking forward to seeing pics!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not put any springtails in there because from what I've read that the froglets should be able to handle the fruit flies

·
Registered
321 Posts
I highly suggest seeding with springtails. They also create microfauna and eat decaying material. They populate fast and provide a mean of food throughout without having to worry about escaping ff's and ff'a hiding. You can keep them together just make sure both are eating fairly.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm ok. I guess I just need to figure out where to get springtails, since I wasn't smart enough to get them at Frog Day. Any suggestions for springtails in NYC?

·
Banned
1,573 Posts
The little guy is 2 months old and eats flies great...could be just stress for all the moving around the past few days...I assume you bought them from me since I was the only guy with azureus at the show that I saw. The breeder and owner of those frogs was Chris aka Catman25. If you have questions about his frog please pm him as I was only helping him sell them. I did see all of his frogs eat though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Hypostatic,

I'm glad to hear that you found some success at Frog Day and for selecting the Azureus froglets. They were some of my first frogs and are still my favorite. Azureus are the hardiest tinctorius morph and tolerate a wide range of conditions. They almost always morph-out able to take wingless melanogasters, so springtails shouldn't be critical to getting them going.

My Azureus froglets like to have lots of places to hide. Adding some leaf litter will help make them feel safe and will keep the humidity around them higher. I would say that they are hardy enough to go in the larger viv once you have it set up. Just remember the hide-outs and the fact that tinctorius like high humidity.

Sometimes froglets are reluctant to feed from fruitflies on fruit. If you set-up some feeding stations with little pieces of bananas, hand misting will help the ffs move around and the froglets are more likely to eat them

Good luck to you! Richard.

·
Registered
827 Posts
My azureus froglets eat wingless fruit flies the minute they morph. I've seen people say they need springtails but I think that's absurd. Of course seeding with some springtails is different and a good thing.

We picked up some Azureiventris at the show and they're SO tiny. I was amazed when they actually ate wingless fruit flies today. For the soil in their 190oz container, I used springtail culture soil I got at the show as mine all got taken by mites. Did the same for my SI anthonyi froglets from the show so they always have something to munch on. A couple of these are quite small too but as always, froglets grow fast.

A small container that's escape proof is key. A little soil, gravel, leaf litter, some moss, film canisters, and a few random plant cuttings is all I use for froglet containers. Very easy to set-up and observe the frogs.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought one of them from Rainforest Herps (I only really remember because I got a receipt with their name on it haha). The other one I don't recall; they only had one azureus, and I didn't want it to be lonely so I decided to give it a good home =].

Also, here is a photo of the new friend I got from the mystery vendor:

It's past their bedtime so I didn't catch the other one yet.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Did you grab the other Azureus from the tall guy next to my Anuran Art Designs table? That's a great guy and breeder named Joe Nickerson, who's a member here as well. I know he didn't have more than 2 azureus with him.

I was amazed at the lack of CR green and black auratus and azureus at the show. Tons of frogs there though.

Funny thing is that I was so damn busy getting my statues ready, that I totally goofed on bringing 2 azureus I have with me. They are 7-8 weeks old and getting huge. I didn't think it would matter as I figured there would be hundreds of azureus for sale. Now I realize that someone might of appreciated a good deal on azureus to go with the ones they had already bought. Oh well. I have 29 tadpoles in the water anyway so I'm sure next year things will be different.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you grab the other Azureus from the tall guy next to my Anuran Art Designs table? That's a great guy and breeder named Joe Nickerson, who's a member here as well. I know he didn't have more than 2 azureus with him.
GOOD CALL! That totally was Joe then. I guess I got the last one! :D

Here's a pic of the other frog (from Rainforest Herps) with the first frog (from Joe Nickerson) chilling in the background

·
Registered
549 Posts
are they in the same tub that the one came in ? I tried setting up all the froglets in nice size containers set up with leaf litter and clippings I also added isopod dirt and springtail dirt . Then let then get used their mini condo to reduce stress of travel/sale . Hope the one you got from (rainforest) I was the actual breeder turns out well ... then again i hope they both do fine :)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
are they in the same tub that the one came in ? I tried setting up all the froglets in nice size containers set up with leaf litter and clippings I also added isopod dirt and springtail dirt . Then let then get used their mini condo to reduce stress of travel/sale . Hope the one you got from (rainforest) I was the actual breeder turns out well ... then again i hope they both do fine :)
No, I moved them both to a larger shoebox-sized container. The leaf litter and iso/springtail dirt was a very nice addition, and I'm glad you included it! I've been seeing my smaller frog snapping at something that wasn't fruit flies, and this would totally explain what :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi all!

-- I've seen him lunging at something I couldn't really see, and then wiping his face with his hands, and I believe this is a feeding behavior.
Actually the way you describe it, it sounds like the froglet is shedding. This is typical behavior, nothing to worry about. You already have recieved some very sound advice so...Congratulations and Good Luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts