Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local grocery store this past weekend and in their pet section they were selling "All-Glass" Tanks that had a weird bottom. It felt like plastic. It was not clear and was quite bumpy. Is this a new type of tank? What is the bottom made of? Is this drillable?

G

·
0 Posts
If it was opaque and say...black with a texture similar to a football, then it very easily could have been ABS or Styrene. That material is the same as the frame, thus would solvent bond, whereas, acyrlic wouldn't. (It can be glued, but is a dissimilar plastic)

This could be a cost reduced tank and possibly even an exclusive, if the store is a large chain.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think it's a great idea. Why do we need glass bottomed tanks? Also, it would make drilling a hole in the bottom for a drain so much easier, not to mention cheaper.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever the bottom is, I know I have seen it somewhere else. It was a clear color, but you couldn't see through it. It was really rough to the touch. It was an "All-Glass" brand tank. I checked out their website with no luck. If it is drillable, than I want to pick some up. For those of you in the Tri-state area, the tanks were at Mejier. If someone more in the know than me checks it and knows if it drillable, let me know.

·
Registered
327 Posts
mindcrash said:
I think it's a great idea. Why do we need glass bottomed tanks? Also, it would make drilling a hole in the bottom for a drain so much easier, not to mention cheaper.
Because glass is much stronger than acrylic for that application. An acrylic bottom tank must have full support along the entire bottom of the tank, whereas with a glass tank you do not. Most glass tanks are supported by the edges only, if you did that with an acrylic tank the whole bottom would blow out. Acrylic is stronger as far as impact strength though. And glass is much cheaper than acrylic, that's why a majority of tanks are made from glass.

Paul

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night I figured out where I had seen what the glass bottoms were made of...it is shower doors! You know the ones that you can see through, but you really can't see through? Same texture and looks the same. Is that stuff glass?

G

·
0 Posts
FCA is right about the glass vs acrylic and other plastic flat bottoms.
Many tank bottoms are tempered glass to have even less flex.

There are a couple of other reasons as well. Inventory and also the fact that silicone would not hold the glass to the plastic frame.

One day however, All Glass and some of the others many find that that on smaller tanks at least, the bottom rim can be injection molded with a ribbed bottom. Thus all inclusive. The tooling size would be the same. It still leaves the glass to plastic joint problem however.

The frosted glass, like the shower door and possibly the tank bottom you describe are most likely acid etched, sand blasted or poured against a textured tool (this would still leave a little gloss). There could even be a small amount of white pigment in the glass to make it milky.

I'll keep my eyes open for these tanks. If I see it, I will know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts