·
Registered
2,293 Posts
What is the background made with?

I would look at some terrarrium site and get a large plant package

·
Registered
835 Posts
A big plant package from one of our sponsors, or even a big cuttings package from one of our members will push that tank from 'nice' to eye-popping! And I vote for a more leaf litter as well.

Broms can be set in the wall by using bamboo skewers to create a type of basket. Some use paperclips although I am personally not a fan of metals of any kind in the tank. If you do a good job of stablizing,

If you can't afford to bust big on plants, collect as you can afford to do so.

Keep us posted. I love to watch tanks mature and especially enjoy watching other froggers make subtle changes.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
First off...I really like your background. Did you make it?
If you want some simple vining plants some philodendron would be an inexpensive and hardy choice. I really like Pilea "creeping charlie" if you want something a little different.
For the foreground you could use some smaller ferns (like caterpillar) to create depth and to make the frogs feel secure. I just got some Philodendron "wendimbe" and they are awesome-looking plants. They would be a good choice if you are looking to replace some of the broms that are on the ground.
I agree that more leaflitter would be a good choice. Maybe a creeper (one of the "tears" pilea?) cascading down the rockwork would look great.
Great start, keep us updated!
-Field

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Along comes blunt Mr. Grimm....

I think it needs to show off it's size better. 90 gallons is huge, along with that comes huge potential. Right now with the way it is planted and layed out, it looks to be a 20-30 gallon long tank. Definitely not a 90. First I'd say keep aquiring plants and growing them out in a seperate tank until you have enough to plan the end result. Then I would remove the dried sphagnum, because it makes the tank look dry. Its good to use around epiphyte roots, but anything more is an eye sore. Then I would keep my eyes peeled for nice pieces of wood. Im a fan of the "rooty" style tanks, so a stump and a few longer root-like pieces would be perfect. Not only do they look badass, but they act as plant mounts, and frogs can hide below them. Kinda like this...

....can you tell how bored I am at work?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Grimm, you are such a show-off! :D

I'd stop saying ugly things if you just come down here and landscape my vivs. Until then, I shall continue to besmirch you until you arrive!

And Grimm is right. The wood highlights the depth of the tank so much better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want some simple vining plants some philodendron would be an inexpensive and hardy choice. I really like Pilea "creeping charlie" if you want something a little different.
-Field
philodendren and pilea! in new i was forgetting some obvious good choices.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Yeah I definitely agree on more wood, I just can't freaking find any good pieces anywhere. I went out to find some more broms and could't find any good ones so I bought a few big ones and only put one in. I have three orchids in there should I take those out? The big open background bothers me a lot..lol so I guess I will be ordering a huge plant pack from somewhere maybe even two or three!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Along comes blunt Mr. Grimm....

I think it needs to show off it's size better. 90 gallons is huge, along with that comes huge potential. Right now with the way it is planted and layed out, it looks to be a 20-30 gallon long tank. Definitely not a 90. First I'd say keep aquiring plants and growing them out in a seperate tank until you have enough to plan the end result. Then I would remove the dried sphagnum, because it makes the tank look dry. Its good to use around epiphyte roots, but anything more is an eye sore. Then I would keep my eyes peeled for nice pieces of wood. Im a fan of the "rooty" style tanks, so a stump and a few longer root-like pieces would be perfect. Not only do they look badass, but they act as plant mounts, and frogs can hide below them. Kinda like this...

....can you tell how bored I am at work?
I like the drawing, I just need to find wood like that!

·
Registered
638 Posts
yes put more driftwood in there its key to makeing it look natural. Ihave yet to see a finised viv with no driftwood

1 - 20 of 30 Posts