Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
D. Auratus "El Cope"; T. Corticale
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to give my 2.1 Auratus group an upgrade from their 18x18x24 ExoTerra to a 36x18x24. This was my first terrarium and it came with some flaws that I would like to get rid off. Last time I did a foam background and there are some big airbubbles which allow the frogs to get into the background.
This time I went with a hardscape of mopani wood and a background of cork mosaic that I will fill with sphaghnum moss to give a nice growing surface for plants.
I've (mostly) finished the backdrop, just need to carve the foam on the left side and will likely put in the moss today or tomorrow (not sure yet if I wanna use silicone to attach it or if I will just wedge it in.
Organism World Wood Cooking Gas

·
Registered
I currently only have Leucs. I've kept aurotaenia, auratus, bicolor and imitator in the past
1,388 Posts
I like it, but I wonder if this thin pressed cork paneling material has enough thickness and texture to hold the sphagnum in place the way that a cracked cork bark mosaic does? I am definitely interested in following this build

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it, but I wonder if this thin pressed cork paneling material has enough thickness and texture to hold the sphagnum in place the way that a cracked cork bark mosaic does? I am definitely interested in following this build
Thats why I am considering gluing the moss to the Wall. Alternatively I have also still enough cork to add a second layer and deepen the cracks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you're thinking about gluing it, I wonder if you'd run into problems using silicone. Typically people use damp sphagnum for cork mosaics to keep it flexible and compressible. Using dry sphag would probably make a crunchy, crumbly mess, but I'm not sure if the damp sphag would stick. Maybe that second layer of cork would be better... especially if it created some ridges that overhang the base layer of cork so that you could wedge the sphag underneath the ridges to help hold it in a bit better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...and here I thought I was going to be unique doing a broken compressed cork theme.

If you wet the cork & take a little screw driver then carve up that cork. It will give it a really cool texture look. Not that it's bad now or anything.

Chickened out on the gravel I see?😂
Not as if I didn't steal the idea of using dark cork. :D
But I gotta say I really like the way it Looks. Better than silicon and coco fiber and way less work. I was considering if I want to cover up the foam, but ultimately decided leaving it black helps blending it in.
I am quite interested in seeing your take on it. I think I won't carve it because I hope to cover it with cissus discolor over the next few months. Still have to see how the lighting will be though.

Yeah I chickened out on the gravel, because I was to uncertain if the plants I plan to use will like it. Maybe next time. After all I will have an empty 18x18x24 now (and a 36x18x24 that was too cheap to Pass).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plants are in! I still need more leaflitter, but I ran out. Probably will wait a bit to give the selaginella a fighting chance. I might still add more epiphytes (maybe some orchids) to the right side and am considering another 1-2 vining plants, but for now I like the look.
Plant Leaf Natural environment Wood Branch

Plant Houseplant Terrestrial plant Flower Leaf vegetable

Fluid Arthropod Rectangle Glass Art

I will Edit in a plant list later.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't edit the post for some reason, so here is the plant list:

Ground coverage
Alocasia azlanii 'invisible ink'