Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a used 29 gal tank from a friend who was keeping cychlids. I plan on using hot water and salt to wash it out, followed by many, many rinses. Is this suitable/sufficient? I plan on setting it up for my Vitts, or Bicolor. I realize Bicos are far more terrestrially based than Vitts, but I really like the tank my Vitts are currently in, and my Bicos are in a temporary home. What if I try and make it a deep low tank(like the opposite of vert), do people do this? Thanks for any and all tips/suggestions!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why salt??? a 10% bleach solution should do it..
Using salt and hot water is an old school method of cleaning out tanks. The salt acts as an abbrassive agent in the water column to help remove crap from glass, and also as a means of killing any would be problems. This tank has not had anything in it for a very long time, so I am not too concerned about it. I have decided to use it for my Bicos. The FB will take away some headroom anyway. I plan on starting the build today. I will probably finish today as my vivs are never overly complicated, but always functional.

JBear

·
Registered
169 Posts
What are you makin the bg with? So you don't use anything that needs to cure over time? That's what kills me about my builds is the waiting for stuff its sooo boring.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you makin the bg with? So you don't use anything that needs to cure over time? That's what kills me about my builds is the waiting for stuff its sooo boring.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I don't use BG's. If anything I will stack flat stones up a little creating some caves/barriers, but nothing in the way of a full BG. I just don't see the need. It takes up floor space, which the Bicos will utilize far more than some wall. When I begin with "Thumbnails", the BG will be much more important in both security, and providing usable space.

JBear

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Are you going to be using coarse rock salt? Seems like the best way to really get it clean and I don't think it would scratch the glass. Maybe you should mix up a weak bleach solution in a spray bottle after the salt-scrub (sounds like a spa-treatment) but before all the rinses. Can't be overly-cautious right? I always let my tanks air dry in direct sunlight, the extra UV may kill a few nasties (at least thats what I tell myself). Never kept P. bicolor, so I can't give much input there...well maybe a little input: they are awesome looking!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
in worm labs we clean contaminated c elegans stocks by soaking the worms in a solution with NaOH and bleach, which essentially forms ionic NaCl in solution. It kills any molds and unwanted bacteria growing on the plates, along with any worms, but doesn't kill the worm's eggs as they have a protective layer. Although, i'm sure that if left in solution long enough it would kill them too.

So my advice for cleaning with salt would be to let it soak for a nice amount of time so any microfauna eggs are destroyed

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Build is done. I will have pics asap! The frogs are loving their quarters seemingly. There are 2 breeding huts, 1 hide, 1 birch branch, and Pothos. I used an eggcrate FB, with a syphon port in the upper left corner of the tank. In a week, I expect the Pothos to be standing and spreading. I hope to add java moss and some creeping litter.

Pics will be uploaded in a moment...

JBear

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've also worked with C. elegans, my background right now is actually a C. elegans I took some pictures of a few months back... :)

As I remember prolonged bleach would kill the eggs as well, which is why once the adults have "cracked" you start diluting the solution/pulling out the bleach.

This is actually one of the cooler things to see. You can watch the adult worms stiffen and then "crack" in half with the bleach/NaOH. Very cool to see.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here it is along with some pics of the inhabitants!

Thanks for looking!

JBear

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts