Dendroboard banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Greetings,

Your viv is developing nicely - I am a proponent of more plants :) My last viv was a very vertical setup and they are challenging situations for planting all the way down. As you've added more plants you've created much more shade for the lower plants - this will rob bromeliads of their colors and tight form (though they will still be good habitat for frogs).

Your viv also looks very dry. I think your frogs will need more moist conditions. If you want to have moss growth on your background you need to provide more constant moisture. Surface-growing plants like Marcgravia would also benefit. I use bare wood surfaces in the tank as my meter for moisture levels: The goal is for the wood to be just moist enough to be darkened by the moisture but not wet with moisture. This will be dry enough to discourage slimey biofilms but moist enough to encourage moss and creeping plants to slowly spread.

A drawback of more moisture, however, is that the Tillandsia sp which you have many of will not be so happy. Your current drier conditions are more suited to their liking than the wetter, more humid conditions frogs will prefer. You'll likely see some losses when things are kept more moist - especially any that stay wet and/or shaded.

The Alocasia sp is going to be a challenge to maintain. Its maximum size is too large to fit well in your viv and plants like Alocasia are difficult to keep small since they only produce a few leaves. I very much like the look of Alocasia - and usually Alocasia like viv conditions - but they grow too large to work long term in my experience.

Your substrate looks to have a fairly high component of sphagnum. That might retain excess moisture when you increase watering. A nice layer of leaves will provide frog hunting habitat and a drier surface for the frogs. More leaves (and I would suggest some smaller leaves like a live oak) would also be good for the frogs.

Good luck on picking your Ranitomeya - there are so many cool forms and species to choose from!

Thanks for your advices! Anyway the vivarium is really far from being ready. I’m just adding plants step by step in order to check their thriving and measuring that the conditions are correct.

I’m still working on that and I guess I’ll be much time with in. Im not in a hurry. I prefer doing things correct. I had another vivarium (500 liters) 15 years ago and I spent almost 7 months to stabilizing as I wanted. I kept a fantastic Azureus group for 5 years till I had to sell the stuff.

So I know is not as wet as I’d like but not far away from I want. I prefer not excessively wet conditions all the time. It’s not correct for frogs. Peaks of 100-90% is good but not always. The pics I showed were always at the drier moment and ambient was around 75% at that moment. It’s not a problem right now. I’m dealing with temperature...that’s my problem. So I must be patient.

And....please tell me everything you consider in order to improve it!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
¡Ostras! había pasado por alto tu hilo. ¡Hola Vecino!
Me encanta tu terrario!! (y)(y)(y)

I had overlooked your thread. Hello Neighbor!
I love your terrarium !! (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks! Nice to see spanish people!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

And, finally, thinking about the frogs after a lot of months for stablish the terrarium. Suggestions?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
And by the way, I put the exoterra canopy out and I installed 2 more 34W LED bar instead (serial installation) in order to increase productive light for plants and decrease hitting. It looks like everything is going better this way.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks! It’s not being easy, it’s too much high so it’s difficult to keep growing substrate plants. I’m always making changes about lights, positions and misting. But everything goes right now. The marantha, pileas, Cryptanthus, alocasia are thriving well and I guess they are perfectly stablish. I’m trying to grow cover plants to climb the back. It’s the only gap by now, covering the low back parts of the vivarium.

Frogs will come when I’m able to guarantee perfect conditions. I guess in a couple of months when (I hope) those cover plants begin to climb.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks! It’s not being easy, it’s too much high so it’s difficult to keep growing substrate plants. I’m always making changes about lights, positions and misting. But everything goes right now. The marantha, pileas, Cryptanthus, alocasia are thriving well and I guess they are perfectly stablish. I’m trying to grow cover plants to climb the back. It’s the only gap by now, covering the low back parts of the vivarium.

Frogs will come when I’m able to guarantee perfect conditions. I guess in a couple of months when (I hope) those cover plants begin to climb.

Maybe you can look for shade plants, like ferns and calathea.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts