Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello
The Arcadia (34 W), is that the Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED Bar?
And that is enough at a height of 150cm? Or how high is it inside, from the light to the floor?
Looks very bright, but photos can be deceiving. Do you have the possibility to measure how much LUX you have on the ground?
... and a great terrarium in which a lot of plants can still fit

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hello
And that is enough at a height of 150cm? Or how high is it inside, from the light to the floor?
Looks very bright, but photos can be deceiving. Do you have the possibility to measure how much LUX you have on the ground?

Definetly not. But right now I’m only testing parameters. Plants do well but not as I’d like. I use an extra Exo terra canopy with light bulbs but it’s impossible to add now. Temperature goes extremely high in this season. Anyway the Maranta, the Begonia listata and the Alocasia are thriving well and they’re there for around 1-2 months. However is astonishing the good light level of these leds.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ve divided the terrarium in 4 areas in order to measure temperatures. I’m keeping only the LED bar (34W) on by now.
The first area is at the top, close to the lights, about 10 cm below. I’m reaching, depending on the hour from 32 to 27 C.
The second area is about 40 cm below the lights. Here the T goes from 24 to 28 C.
The third one, about 70 cm below lights. 23,5 to 26,5 is the range here.
And the last one, the substrate (around 130 cm from lights). 23 to 25 C
Even into each area I measured different T at the same time (there are shadows, places where light doesn’t incise, a few plants by now...) registering differences of almost 1,5 or 2 C.

These average T were measured on extremely hot summer days (25 C at night and 33 peaks at midday), lights on from 09:20 am to 20:00 pm and 3 mists (11 am 1’ 20’m, 15 pm 1’ 20’’ and 18 pm 45””).
Vents on 5 times a day (30’ each).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello

I Guess LUX is not exactly a definitive parameter but I’ll try to get an app to do it. Normal range do u consider acceptable or you set in your vivariums?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just forget about measuring the light.
I just couldn't imagine that a 34 W lamp would radiate a 150 cm terrarium like the one in the photo.
And as long as the plants are growing, everything is fine.
And leaves on the ground are also OK for the frogs and they don't need any light.
My 140x60x140 high terrarium has 3x 40W Arcadia Jungle Dawn Led Spot lighting that shines on the floor from the outside.
In the terrarium above there are 4 LED tubes a 19W, 2 LED strips a 33W, 1 LED spot 27W and 2 HQI from Reptiles Expert with 35W
Light down to the ground with plenty of shade for the frogs. All plants thrive and bloom, even on the ground. but with 360W light output

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just forget about measuring the light.
I just couldn't imagine that a 34 W lamp would radiate a 150 cm terrarium like the one in the photo.
And as long as the plants are growing, everything is fine.
And leaves on the ground are also OK for the frogs and they don't need any light.
My 140x60x140 high terrarium has 3x 40W Arcadia Jungle Dawn Led Spot lighting that shines on the floor from the outside.
In the terrarium above there are 4 LED tubes a 19W, 2 LED strips a 33W, 1 LED spot 27W and 2 HQI from Reptiles Expert with 35W
Light down to the ground with plenty of shade for the frogs. All plants thrive and bloom, even on the ground. but with 360W light output

It’s not enough light I know. The correct situation (not definitely in summer) will be set using minimum another LED bar and the canopy by exoterra. Now, I’m testing only using the LED bar (34W) and (right now) adding a led bulb 100 W. Temperatures don’t reach dangerous peaks so it’s ok by now. Maybe is the set that I’ll adopt for summer hot periods.

Even so, the bottom plants are thriving relatively well. Here you can see the current aspect of the maranta mint (almost 2 months planted) and the Alocasia (about 2 weeks). I’m modifying the layout and I’m gonna add a handmade Liana and a big Mopani log to give attraction to the bottom and offer more possibilities to the frogs to climb from the bottom to upper stratus. I’ll upload pics ASAP

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do you have any pictures of older growth on that Marcgravia? That doesn't look like sintenisii to me. Just curious.

Mark

Edit, found a pic of the what I think of as sintenisii in this thread by gex23. Post #22.

Sorry but I have no more pictures. It’s really recent the planting. You can see the lighter new parts.

What Marcgravia do you think it is?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Sorry but I have no more pictures. It’s really recent the planting. You can see the lighter new parts.

What Marcgravia do you think it is?

That is not Sintenissi. The Marcgravia you have was released as 'Marcgravia' sp. green or sp. Peru on the european market a while aggo.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That is not Sintenissi. The Marcgravia you have was released as 'Marcgravia' sp. green or sp. Peru on the european market a while aggo.

Thanks. It makes sense to me. I wasn’t sure. I guess sintenisii has bigger leaves

·
Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
Thanks. It makes sense to me. I wasn’t sure. I guess sintenisii has bigger leaves

Yeah, bigger, more elongated leaves and new growth has a bit of reddish or pinkish look to it. Looks pretty different. Yours will probably look a bit different when it starts to attach to the background, but I don't think it will ever look like sintenisii :)

Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah, bigger, more elongated leaves and new growth has a bit of reddish or pinkish look to it. Looks pretty different. Yours will probably look a bit different when it starts to attach to the background, but I don't think it will ever look like sintenisii :)

Mark

Yeah definitely not sinteniisi. I’m going to order it by the way because I need big leaved plants in order to cover more than now. The surface is really big.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
M.Sintenissii on the left and probably the same Marcgravia you have on the right. Beneath that M. Sp 'Suriname'.

A lot of my Sintenissi color almost orange underneath the Skylights. The growtips always bright red or pink.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
M.Sintenissii on the left and probably the same Marcgravia you have on the right. Beneath that M. Sp 'Suriname'.

A lot of my Sintenissi color almost orange underneath the Skylights. The growtips always bright red or pink.

Yes that’s my Marcgravia

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As you can see, I’m going on with the tunning, adding things and making changes. I added a big Mopani log and some leaves in a first attemp. I guess it improved a lot the lay out and it will give more hides to the frogs and more possibilities to climb and reach upper layers.

What do you think?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Greetings,

Your viv is developing nicely - I am a proponent of more plants :) My last viv was a very vertical setup and they are challenging situations for planting all the way down. As you've added more plants you've created much more shade for the lower plants - this will rob bromeliads of their colors and tight form (though they will still be good habitat for frogs).

Your viv also looks very dry. I think your frogs will need more moist conditions. If you want to have moss growth on your background you need to provide more constant moisture. Surface-growing plants like Marcgravia would also benefit. I use bare wood surfaces in the tank as my meter for moisture levels: The goal is for the wood to be just moist enough to be darkened by the moisture but not wet with moisture. This will be dry enough to discourage slimey biofilms but moist enough to encourage moss and creeping plants to slowly spread.

A drawback of more moisture, however, is that the Tillandsia sp which you have many of will not be so happy. Your current drier conditions are more suited to their liking than the wetter, more humid conditions frogs will prefer. You'll likely see some losses when things are kept more moist - especially any that stay wet and/or shaded.

The Alocasia sp is going to be a challenge to maintain. Its maximum size is too large to fit well in your viv and plants like Alocasia are difficult to keep small since they only produce a few leaves. I very much like the look of Alocasia - and usually Alocasia like viv conditions - but they grow too large to work long term in my experience.

Your substrate looks to have a fairly high component of sphagnum. That might retain excess moisture when you increase watering. A nice layer of leaves will provide frog hunting habitat and a drier surface for the frogs. More leaves (and I would suggest some smaller leaves like a live oak) would also be good for the frogs.

Good luck on picking your Ranitomeya - there are so many cool forms and species to choose from!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts