Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a group of 3 Ebenaui. I know at least one of them is calling, and I really think 2 of them are calling. I witnessed the male jumping on one of the other frogs backs, and kind of holding the frog with his arms (amplexus, but I guess mantella don't do amplexus?) Is that what courting/mating looks like, or is that one male trying to dominate another male, or could it be either and therefore I can't be sure the one on the bottom was a female?

I guess another way to ask it is: Would a male only jump on a female like that or would a male jump on another male like that?

I'm trying to figure out the sexes of the 3 frogs I have.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sounds like there may be some dominance issues going on. When the male jumps on the other frog, is he wrestling around and pushing the other frog and is the other frog lowering tw head and body to the ground?

Another thing you can do is set them up in their own enclosures next to each other and see who calls and who doesn't. The call from the one male should trigger calling from a second male. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
both males and females will wrestle but male/male displays will be much more pronounced. Size and/or calling will be the best way to differentiate sexes. In ebenaui, its pretty obvious as the females are rather rotund.

·
Registered
747 Posts
both males and females will wrestle but male/male displays will be much more pronounced. Size and/or calling will be the best way to differentiate sexes. In ebenaui, its pretty obvious as the females are rather rotund.
Huh, rotund..... I like that word

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll check on the rotundness of them:D

Reactions: josh_r
1 - 7 of 7 Posts