Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Could this be just a really well colored up "Zoe"? Searching through tropiflora now.

I found this little gem at Home Depot yesterday. I'm imagining it will take some intense light to keep it colored up like that. It'll get a dip in soapy bleach water and a strong rinse before use in my viv of course.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Could be Zoe. Sure does look like a Neo though.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have two neo. zoe that were about as red as those untill I placed them in a different plant grow tank. since then they lost a bit of color but still have retained some of the red. mine arent quite as full as those though

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I meant that, yes, it's a Neo, so you should be good to use it. There are too many different morphs and crosses to ever be able to say for sure that it is Zoe. It could just as easily be Zoe x unknown. Best you can ever say is "possible Zoe".

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. I thought it was awsome looking, and for $4 I couldn't pass it up. I figure worst case it becomes a houseplant. The large offset has a nice stiff stolon I plan to jam in the background and place the other plant somewhere else. There is even a 3rd pup starting from the main plant.

·
Registered
725 Posts
it could be N. "donger" but i think the leaves are more wide than a donger. Cool plant though!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very nice Doug
I dont recall seeing those at my Home Depot - bummer

I wouldnt worry if they are Noriegas - I cant tell the difference - Great Find!!

Anyway I did manager to get some smaller broms myself at Lowes today that have great water retention for my future Imi's. If I can get my camera to work I will take pics to share.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Mine just got a bunch of those in, under low light they are green leaves with white stripes, under better light they get that nice red. They need higher light to grow well.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure its a Neo. This new viv is gonna be lit very strong. I'm getting two of the LED screw in type lamps from Lightyourreptiles.com for 1 fixture and a second fixture will hold a 6500k GE 26W CFL and a ZooMed 5.0 UVB CFL. These will only be on for a peak period of 4-6 hours out of the 12 total. I'm reasonably confident that should be enought light to blast some broms to get really strong color.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The picture is very probably Neoregelia "Zoe". Although that is sometimes sold as "Eoz" (not sure enough why to state my hypothesis on that).

Donger is different. Unfortunate name, to begin with. But the pattern of color is different.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Unfortunate name! Uhh..Yeah! You crack me up!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
The picture is very probably Neoregelia "Zoe". Although that is sometimes sold as "Eoz" (not sure enough why to state my hypothesis on that).

Donger is different. Unfortunate name, to begin with. But the pattern of color is different.
There is actually a history/story behind Zoe and Eoz. I can't remember if they are cultivars from the same grex or if it was some sort of thing with a patent or something. I'll have to find out and post back....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts