Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the Neoregelia brom I have in my vivarium is starting to brown, hopefully someone can give me some advice on what should I do. This brom is mounted on a piece of wood and the cusp is always filled with water, as you can see, it lost it's red color due to the light not being powerful enough but I don't mind that. The temps in the viv are ranging from 23 C-25 C during the day (73F - 77F) and drop to around 21 C ( 69F) during the night and humidity is above 70%.
Plant Green Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant
Green Plant Botany Leaf Terrestrial plant

·
Administrator
5,110 Posts
There is sometimes some attrition of outside leaves. Moving it into brighter light will help it grow to replace those leaves, and possibly stop further leaves from being lost -- Neos really appreciate growing at the top of the viv, near the lights.

Too much moisture at the base can cause the whole plant to rot -- not sure how yours is mounted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is sometimes some attrition of outside leaves. Moving it into brighter light will help it grow to replace those leaves, and possibly stop further leaves from being lost -- Neos really appreciate growing at the top of the viv, near the lights.

Too much moisture at the base can cause the whole plant to rot -- not sure how yours is mounted.
Thanks, is mounted on a piece of wood that I drilled and then stuck the stolon in it, I also made some holes in the wood so it gets better drainage. It might be the light indeed, I consider adding another light on top of the vivarium, do you thing that might solve the problem?

·
Administrator
5,110 Posts
There may not even be a problem, but higher light would almost certainly benefit that plant. Adding another light fixture over the whole viv wouldn't necessarily raise the light level to any one plant very much (depends on the existing lighting setup, and what you add, and where you place it, etc) nor would it necessarily benefit other plants, or the frogs. Since the Neo looked somewhat misplaced among Marantas, which need less light, I'd personally move it closer to the lighting instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curently the viv is lit by 4500k led strip, I plan on adding another strip of led that is 6000k. I know that the strip I'm curently using is not the best one for growing plants but I ve been quite succesful growing less light demanding plants with it so far. Relocating the brom would be a lot more hussle than just adding one more strip of led's as the viv doesn't house darts but a brazilian rainbow boa that has a habit of breaking plants mounted on the background. Do you think the new light will make a difference?Maybe even make the red color pop back again?Apreciate your advice!

·
Administrator
5,110 Posts
Well, the color temp (degrees K) doesn't matter much -- the amount of light does, but that's a matter of wattage, efficiency, distance from the light source, reflectors or lensing, etc. How you increase that amount of light doesn't matter to the plant much.

If I were keeping a BRB in a planted viv (I keep BRBs, but not in unnecessarily complex enclosures), I'd be cautious of increasing light levels. Snakes that don't feel secure in their enclosure can and do react negatively. Probably won't be an issue but I always put the needs of the animal first (and second and third, too) and the needs of the cage decor not high on the list at all.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi, the Neoregelia brom I have in my vivarium is starting to brown, hopefully someone can give me some advice on what should I do.
That's just what broms do. Outer leaves die and new leaves sprout from the center. You're going to see those leaves die and fall off. Unless it starts happening to every leaf, it's normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts