Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are wood from online (e.g. neherp) safe to use without boiling/baking? What are the main sources of nemertean infestation?

·
Registered
552 Posts
nemerteans in your viv aren't necessarily bad. It's the pathogenic internal parasites, bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc that you need to be concerned about.

Unless you have an autoclave, a good thorough scuffing with a stiff brush and a long period of drying is about as much as you can do. I assume most of the wood products from our sponsors sit dry for a significant amount of time and I would probably be fine with using them in my vivs but your best bet is to ask NEHerp directly. They're very friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I used a nice peice of Malaysian driftwood from NE herp in my Southern Variabilis viv. It was very dry and I used it without treating.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Are wood from online (e.g. neherp) safe to use without boiling/baking? What are the main sources of nemertean infestation?
As discussed this thread (and links therein) http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/identification-forum/78465-nemertean.html... The most probable sources of infestations are going to be live plants... particularly those that have some crevices that prevent disinfectants from getting into them (such as bromeliads)...particularly since at least one species forms resting cocoons....

Ed

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
hey ed, for the bromeliads, instead of doing a bleach treatments, i soaked them overnight. will that kill (drown) the nemerteans?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
nemerteans in your viv aren't necessarily bad.
I just have to address this statement. I think you are mistaking nemerteans with nematodes. Nematodes are generally harmless scavengers. Nemerteans, on the other hand, will decimate your microfauna. They will completely obliterate your springtails and will even compete with your frogs for the flies you dump in your viv. Nemerteans are most definitely bad.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just have to address this statement. I think you are mistaking nemerteans with nematodes. Nematodes are generally harmless scavengers. Nemerteans, on the other hand, will decimate your microfauna. They will completely obliterate your springtails and will even compete with your frogs for the flies you dump in your viv. Nemerteans are most definitely bad.
Woops, yep definitely mixed those up. Thanks Doug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts