Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if nematodes can be collected off of a dart frog tank wall and dispensed as food prey for carnivorous larvae? This being certain frog tadpoles, and newt and salamander larvae. The thing that worries me is the potential for a pathogen from the darts being indirectly taken in while feeding on the worms. They are basically whiteworms IMO, and seem to be a good food prey(aside from where they would be obtained). I appreciate any tips/advice on this!

JBear

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
White worms are not nematodes.... White worms are Enchytraeus albidus a member of annelids..

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I have an older culture of springtails on charcoal thats LOADED with them. tHEY CULTURE REALLY EASILY, AND I think they are cultured deliberately for killifish food. Just keep the charcoal cultures WET and you should have no problems

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
There are several different annelids that are cultured for feeding fish.. Enchytraeus albidus are white worms, the smaller Grindal worms are Enchytraeus buchholzi.

Ed

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are nematodes not suitable as food prey? I mean this this in a truly inquisitive way. Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I don't think I have indicated that they are not a good food source... I have been correcting the notion that white worms are nematodes... this is a case of misidentification that has been passed along in the hobby.

With respect to nematodes, you have to be careful to not induce calcium insufficiency as they don't provide any D3... and there is a risk of pathogen transfer if you are collecting them from the enclosures.
There are nematodes that are easily cultured and used as a food source, these are sold a microworms (see Panagrellus redivivus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). They are very small (about 1 millimeter in length).

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very helpful info! I appreciate it, Ed. However, I never meant to imply that I thought they were one in the same, merely similar in size and appearance. Again, thank you for the constant help and advice!

JBear

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you're referring to the ones that live in the water and sometimes climb up the glass (Nematode - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki), those are a good food for fish/fry/tads. chances are you already have them (almost everyone does) and you can get their population to explode by feeding them fish flake or pellets etc... basically just overfeed and they will multiply. then you can just stir up your substrate and they'll float out.

i used to see my cardinal tetras eat them when i was overfeeding. i have never had a problem with disease or anything. like i said, almost everyone has them so GL keeping your aquatic creatures from snacking on them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been getting feedback from a bunch of fish breeders that Superfly is working out as a great alternative for culturing microworms. Usually the media they use stinks really bad and is the main reason people don't like to culture them.

Allen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts