Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've been keeping darts and terrariums for probably ten years on and off but never really got into mini orchids.

I have an area I'd like to try one or two on it is cork bark with fairly strong lighting and there is a fan maybe 12 inches away.

Anything good for beginners that wont stick out too far? It's a left hand cork panel and dont want them to obscure the view too much.

I'll get pics if it helps.

Thanks!

Paul

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sophronitis pygmaea is a great small one(2-3 inch plant) that does very well in a humid environment. I now have 5 and there red blossoms really pop

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I quite like all 3 but not sure how they will fit in, will probably finish the rest of the planting first.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
My favorite mini orchid is Dendrobium laevifolium if you can find it. This and Pleurothallis alleni both really thrive in my tanks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Greetings,

Some of the orchids suggested so far (Haraella, Sophronitis) like a bit of dryness - so you need to be careful about how moist you keep their substrate. Pleurothallid orchids are more suited to the higher moisture levels in many of our vivs. Pleurothallis sp (esp cypripedioides), Restrepia sp, Lepanthes sp and Stelis sp (esp mystax) can all handle moist conditions in a humid dart frog viv very well. For me, these species also bloom reliably.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts