Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week or two I noticed one of my remaining almirante pumilio slowly start to lose weight; it is on a diet of springtails and mal. FF. I have been treating the frog with inj. metronidazole to try to help stimulate eating. Is there anything else I can use/feed to try to get it to eat? It doesn't seem to like the FF; when ever I med. and feed it the frog would just look away from the FF.

Thanks ADAM

before pic

after pic

·
Registered
793 Posts
This is the obvious advice, but i'll say it anyway, you should get a fecal done ASAP to figure out exactly what is going on with this guy. Hopefully it's not too late.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent out a fecal last week to Dr. Frye and the results came back neg. the only thing I can think of is that this little guy is a picky eater. Can you think of some different foods to try?
Thanks
ADAM

G

·
Just how many springtails are you offering? Their main diet in the wild is mites and the like, so I would definitely have thousands of Collembola available. Termites would be good if it'll take them, but I kind of doubt it.
j

·
Registered
793 Posts
also parasitic wasps, pinheads...

One of my tinc froglets was a very picky eater for a while. The way i was able to get him to eat was to put a small coco-hut in his shoebox. He would always stay inside of it and i would throw a few fruitflies at a time in the hut and would see him finally eat them. It worked, and he is now much bolder, though still about half of the size of his fellow froglets due to this period of him not eating.

Not sure if it will help you, but thought i would share a similar experience.

good luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just how many springtails are you offering? Their main diet in the wild is mites and the like, so I would definitely have thousands of Collembola available. Termites would be good if it'll take them, but I kind of doubt it.
j
I am not sure of the exact dumber but I would say at least a couple hundred. I just take the paper towel that is used to keep the culture moist and give it a couple of shakes in the shoe box.

Would rice flour beetles work, from the pic on ED's Fly Meat site they look really small.
ADAM

·
Registered
269 Posts
I dont like your paper towels for two reasons; the first is that it has been bleached to make it white and secondly springtails may be less visible on white towels.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont like your paper towels for two reasons; the first is that it has been bleached to make it white and secondly springtails may be less visible on white towels.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also parasitic wasps, pinheads...

One of my tinc froglets was a very picky eater for a while. The way i was able to get him to eat was to put a small coco-hut in his shoebox. He would always stay inside of it and i would throw a few fruitflies at a time in the hut and would see him finally eat them. It worked, and he is now much bolder, though still about half of the size of his fellow froglets due to this period of him not eating.

Not sure if it will help you, but thought i would share a similar experience.
I will try the coco hut out also. Do you know of anyplace I can get some para. wasps?
ADAM

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would a smaller plastic box be better to put this little guy in so that the springtails and other insects are not so spread out?
ADAM

·
Registered
533 Posts
hi,
I would set up a mini viv. Get a 5 g tank, uses LECA and co-co. Put some plants in there to provide cover. Feed with springies and pin heads. Contact a vet and get a fecal. Monitor exactly what it is eating. I wouldn't worry about trying different food, I would worry about getting it meds.

-Richard

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
I can say that I had a issue like this with a retic, and I managed to keep it alive for about 3 months, but ended up losing it. No idea what caused it, and I treated it with a couple of different things.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mindcrash,
Exactly, I have so many of them. I am going to get a few more tonight. There is 1 flaw in the design. The plastic rim has an area that can allow escapes even from large size frogs. I bought 1/8th inch weather stripping from ACE and placed it all around the edge of the 2.5 g tanks. This allows the glass top to fit snuggly. I then silicone wooden knobs on the tops.

-Richard

·
Registered
533 Posts
Kyle, I will take a pic when I get home. Its just an AGA 2.5 g tank. You can see them at http://www.all-glass.com./products/hoods/index.html Click on accessories. There is no hinge its just a flat piece of glass that is the approx. size of the top (12x6). I pay about $2.50-$3 for the top and $6-7 for the tank. I swear by them, never buy a 'criterkeeper' or shoe box again.

-Rich

·
Registered
665 Posts
With the 5 2.5 gallon tanks I have set up I went to a glass store to get the lids cut alot more accurately than the ones that you can buy at the store. Each tank varies a little bit due to the nature of the cheap plastic rim so I have had to scrape the plastic away to be able to fit some of the lids on. I then silicon a small acrylic cube to one side to use as a handle. Each lid seals perfectly with no gaps for melogansters or springtails to escape, much less frogs.

rob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts