Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im in the process on setting up a new rack and at first I was going to do exo terra tanks for the whole thing. But I can only fit 3 on each shelf. But if I do standard size tank with making my own fronts or lids I can do more tanks. So the question is for the people out there that have racks of normal tanks and made their own lids or fronts do you like them or would you of gone to exos or zoomeds if you could do them over. Also does everyone like front opening or top opening tanks, and im still up in the air on drilling them all with bulk heads not sure yet but they will all have false floors.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Well im in the process on setting up a new rack and at first I was going to do exo terra tanks for the whole thing. But I can only fit 3 on each shelf. But if I do standard size tank with making my own fronts or lids I can do more tanks. So the question is for the people out there that have racks of normal tanks and made their own lids or fronts do you like them or would you of gone to exos or zoomeds if you could do them over. Also does everyone like front opening or top opening tanks, and im still up in the air on drilling them all with bulk heads not sure yet but they will all have false floors.
I have had problems with Exos in humidity control. I use glass aquariums with "fixed" lids. I have never had extra $ to buy conversion kits of any kind, so I have been left with the option of ingenuity alone, ;) ! As a display, however, my method would be easily considered tacky. Bulk heads are great , but the same can be accomplished by hand as long as proper drainage was considered in the viv build(s).

Best of luck, and BTW I am right next door from Toledo!(I am in the Cleveland area) Let me know if you need anything!

JBear

·
Registered
270 Posts
If I had to do it over,
For production of frogs, simple closed tanks, fully enclosed with glass hoods.
For esthetics, tanks with custom openings.
I have both and frogs tend to do better when they are less bothered, overrun with algae with simple plants (ever see a wet forest floor?) Owners seem to do better with custom setups so one can always view the frogs and their latest new plant.
Check the internet or home improvement stores for different wire shelfing dimensions, you will be surprised at what is out there.
Hope it helps

·
Registered
238 Posts
for racks, i prefer front opening tanks. you can place the shelves a little closer together because you don't need the extra room to access the top of the tank, leaving the possibility for one more row of tanks. the top opening tanks on my racks can be a little bit of a pain to access. plus misting nozzles, lights, internal fans, etc, have to be located in different spots to allow for a top opening lid. if it was a single tank on a stand, I would go with the top opening every time. while front opening tanks are easier to access in a rack, tanks like the exo's need a bit of work to make them viv friendly. I have had issues with the exo's leaking, and it can be a bit of a pain to fly proof. for the best value, since the exo's are quite a bit more money and need work anyways, I would go with a standard glass tank, and convert. if you do the conversion yourself, it can be quite cheap.
hope this helps, mike.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I like front-opening tanks...they are just easier to access. However, the ZooMed and ExoTerra tanks are a real pain to try and make fully fruit fly proof, and for that reason I stay away from them.

I have various aquariums I've converted into terrariums and made custom front-opening doors, but also have standard top-opening tanks for some of the Epipedobates and Dendrobates species (these are easier to keep in those sorts of enclosure as they aren't climbing up as, say, pumilio would). I prefer different types of tanks for different types of frogs.

Here's an example of a rack with the different enclosures:

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone I bought a 4ft black bakers rack and I want to try and get as many tank possible one one rack with 3 shelfs. I see in the photo skylsdale that you use the same bakers racks. What size tanks are on that top shelf. I have two species of larger frogs that I will be putting on the middle shelf in 18x18x24 exos but all the rest I want to do thumbnails.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are leaning towards a front opening viv like the Exo, I would check out the new Tetrafauna deluxe front sliding viv. They have a 29g equivalent. I like these doors better then the Exo which are swinging instead of sliding

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
They are all 18 gal tall tanks set on their side...with the two on the bottom right being 10 gal tanks. If I were to do it over, I would actually go with fewer but larger tanks such as two larger size enclosures per shelf.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Although we could start a new title called "If I could do it all over" a final thought here as a practicality, keep tanks the same size if possible for ease of care. I find a 35 gallon on its side is plenty of room for small groups of frogs, allows one to experiment with plants, as well as allows freedom of enough bioflora to leave on vacation and not worry about feeding.
When I redid a frogroom I switched to almost all 35 verticals. It's nice to have options of groups of frogs vs. pairs only.
B

·
Registered
253 Posts
After dealing with conversion tanks for a long time, my zoomeds are a BLESSING. The front opening vivs make life infinitely easier. The glass that most conversion kits use is entirely too fragile for my taste. I broke them constantly and they always seemed to require customization. I can't say enough bad things about conversion kits, but that's just my opinion. Keep things simple, not cheap and you'll be a much happier hobbyist!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts