Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think they are quite ready to try and release into the water yet as their color seems to be off (not as gray as I would like). However, it appears the jelly is starting to break down, not sure how old the mass is either so trying to solicit other peoples opinions. Thanks in advance.

Just FYI pics were taken as I removed them from the parents tank. Moving them to a slightly warmer spot.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I don't think they are quite ready to try and release into the water yet as their color seems to be off (not as gray as I would like). However, it appears the jelly is starting to break down, not sure how old the mass is either so trying to solicit other peoples opinions. Thanks in advance.

Just FYI pics were taken as I removed them from the parents tank. Moving them to a slightly warmer spot.
When I had Mantella eggs in the past I would keep the mass in a plastic shoebox, with one end of the box raised an inch or two, with water on the end not raised. The egg mass was placed on the edge of the water and as they hatched they would go in the water on their own. Yours do look a couple days early.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had Mantella eggs in the past I would keep the mass in a plastic shoebox, with one end of the box raised an inch or two, with water on the end not raised. The egg mass was placed on the edge of the water and as they hatched they would go in the water on their own. Yours do look a couple days early.
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Too early as Bill noted. Wait until they are grey and wriggling around. Then mist them until the gradually break free. Better to have them in the egg mass longer than release them early.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too early as Bill noted. Wait until they are grey and wriggling around. Then mist them until the gradually break free. Better to have them in the egg mass longer than release them early.
Appreciate the confirmation on waiting. I knew they weren't grey enough, mainly worried that it looked like the mass was breaking down. Perhaps I'm just over analyzing them and imagining things. Thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I see you had some more luck with your goldies! I still have the whole group I bought from you. I even had a mady lay about 40 eggs unfertilized:( I'd like to take some of the goldies off your hands!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts