Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up a bakers rack. 48"Lx24"Wx72"H. I have one shelf filled up so far with two 20H sitting horizontally next to each other.

As far as lighting, any recommendations on what to use? I was thinking about going to home depot and getting a 36" or 48" light and mounting it on the bottom of the shelf that sits above these tanks. What would you recommend and what type of bulb would work the best for plants?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Get some T5 fixtures. I bought some inexpensive ones from Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!. They are chinese branded Odyssea. My rack is 3 29s and 3 20highs. I went with 4 bulb units, but the 2 bulb units would be sufficient. If your tanks are spaced close together you can use a 36inch fixture. The fixture is very thin, only about 2inchs, so it doesn't take up much space in the rack. Be sure to select the units that come with all 6500k plant tank bulbs. They have options for units which include actinic bulbs which you won't get much use out of on a vivarium.

You should know that Odyssea has somewhat of a storied past, and these are not the highest end lights out there. IMO, they are perfectly servicable for Viv use. Unless you're willing to spend 2-3x as much for other t5 fixtures, I think these are a good solution. I know many other members use them

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
T5s have the highest efficiency, for sure... If you are trying to save money - Standard black T8 fixtures from lowes are under $30 and the 48" bulbs are cheap too. :) That's what we've been using for years and we've had excellent plant growth... Plus the fixtures (knock on wood) have lasted 4 years so far since we switched from the crap "American Standard" brand lighting from WalMart.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am going to run to lowes and grab the 48" t8 fixture to save some money, what kind of bulb should I get? And can the bulb also be acquired from lowes?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I use a Lights of America 48" Fixture From Walmart..$9.99
I use 6500K Bulbs from Walmart...$9.99

My racks are set so that a Fixture is set on a Shelf

That way the fixture can be pulled out and Bulbs can be changed easily

1 - 7 of 7 Posts