Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone....

I've kept dendrobat Tinks, Glats, phylobates, auratus and azureus.... but I've never even seen the Amazonicus or Lamis !! I am planting my new tanks now and am going to let them settle as I work out any quirks.. but in the mean time I am of course deciding on what frogs I want.
Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some info on the Amazonicus and Lamis frogs, and their Husbandry?? I want to know all I can about them!!!! They are so beautiful !!! Also anything more on Pimilio's and imitators, I cant seem to find anyone with available stock..or are these guys usually always going to be on a waiting list basis???If so where can I get on one....aswell as any sugestions on where and how I should go about getting ahold of these. Right now, I've been purchasing from a local breeder Shaun Stewart,(Great Frogs) In Columbia MD.

Thanks Swann

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you might have trouble finding someone willing to sell you lamasi, and possibly amazonicus, with no thumbnail experience. Why not try some vents until you get some experience? They are very similar, cost a fraction of the price, and are much easier to find.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thnks guys, I was planing on imitators to go into my 135gal. 3'X2'x3. What are Vents? I dont know of the abreviation? do any of you know of resources online with info on them and their husbandry.

Thanks , Swann.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Thats a huge tank for such a small frog.

swann said:
OK thnks guys, I was planing on imitators to go into my 135gal. 3'X2'x3. What are Vents? I dont know of the abreviation? do any of you know of resources online with info on them and their husbandry.

Thanks , Swann.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,

I also have 2, 20gal high, vertically setup... and an Oceanic 32gal lizard lounge. I was going to put the thumbnails in them until I feel secure about giving the best husbandry. And then I was going to hopefully put some imitators in the big tank with some Tinks or something later on, since this tank has great aboreal room...as my display tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swann said:

Thanks , Swann.
Dendrobates ventrimaculatus

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think you could keep a nice breeding colony of imitators in a 135, they shoudl love it. I guess you cold probably keep tincs with them as well, as they wouldn't try to eat the imitators or anything... but they are pigs lol. The only problem would be feeding, but if you added enough ff's in different areas I think they should do fine. I think Justin Yeager kept some of his thumbs in larger tanks and had great success with them... correct me if I am wrong Justin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But can anyone recommend breeders to buy from? If theres a waiting list I want to get on it. and any places known online tobe a good source on husbandry and other info on these species? Books aswell.

Thnks, Swann

T

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
recommend

I know Aaron Handslik http://www.aaronsfrogfarm.com carries imitators and vents, but not sure if he's out of them right now. My friend has ordered from him with very positive results. Patrick Nabors has them, I think, but I know that John Gibeau carries vents and amazonicus, but I think he is out of vents. He carries imitators too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were correct. I had D. imitator mixed with D. auratus and E. tricolor in a 90 gallon. I also had D. imitator mixed with D. tinctorius in a 50 gallon. Once you know what each frog likes for their own microhabitat, mixing them (when you are experienced enough) is not that hard. Note, I never mixed things that could hybridize, and I mixed things with similar personalities. I also only mixed ones which I had other colonies breeding of and I put the well started babies together. All this was done several years ago, but the theories are the same.
J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts