Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Your frogs will be fine. They love the fruit fly maggots and the media won't hurt them if accidentally ingested.

Are you dusting your flies with a calcium and vitamin supplement? The supplement keeps the frogs healthy as the fruit flies do not have much nutritional value to them. Dusting is a must in this hobby and there are many great products out there to use. Just remember to replace them every 6 months as the contact with air and heat breaks the ingredients down so they are worthless.

To dust, simply tap a tiny amount of supplement into a clean plastic cup (clean so the fruit flies have a hard time crawling back up it), tap in some flies, swirl and then tap the flies out into the viv for your frogs to enjoy.

The hobby should not be stressful and will not remain stressful once you get the routine down! It is quite a rewarding hobby, just breathe deep and enjoy your frogs!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I do the same thing when people come over, no worries.

Those Repashy calcium products that are labeled Chameleon, Bearded Dragon, etc are all the same formula. All you have to do is look at the ingredients on the back. You are still going to need a vitamin supplement to use in rotation with your calcium. Repashy has great products on the market and has put a lot of dart frog related products into the hobby in the recent past.

Try to get a vitamin supplement with Vitamin A. Just look on the ingredients labeled on the back to see if one has it or not.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I believe that the Repashy Calc plus (the "newer" product) is an "all in one" supplement, that also contains vit A. Correct?
Just looked at it and yes it is an "all in one" supplement.

Many people use different supplements to cover all the bases just in case one supplement doesn't have something and another one does. Just as long as it is without D3.

D3 causes them to retain too much calcium (binds) and they are unable to pass the excess naturally. Someone may need to confirm that.

I couldn't tell you yes or no on the fishing bait maggots. I would say no just to be safe. There are ways to harvest the maggots from your culture cups including putting a non vented lid on and letting them crawl up the container, scoop them out with a spoon, then replace the vented lid.

Remember, anything from outside could carry parasites that could harm your frogs. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.