Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears my plants are struggling. I have a two inch slit for ventilation a satellite+ pro LED light fixture and a misting system set for 2 seconds every 2 hours for 10 hours. Temp stays between 71 and 74 degrees and humidity stays between 94 to 100 percent according to an AC infinity reader.

the bromeliad on the right seems to be getting not enough water or sun damage. While the pilea depressa right next to it seems to have gotten too much water. The bromeliad on the left though I think got too much water and the red nerve plant in the middle seems to have curling leaves.

I’m unsure what the issue is and am considering switching to five seconds of misting twice daily. I am also unsure whether I should trim the dying bromeliad leaves. The frogs seem fine. They are active and eating regularly. If someone could help with plant care it would be appreciated
Flower Plant Flowerpot Plant community Houseplant

·
Registered
437 Posts
What is the bromeliad mounted too? If the base of the bromeliad is constantly wet it is going to rot.

I mist in the morning and a few hours before my lights turn off. You want to avoid too much moisture remaining on leaves. After a few hours most of the water on the leaves of the plants in my tank has dried up.

When did you plant the tank? It could be acclimating still if it was recently. But the plants look fine to me you probably just need to give them time.

Ricky

·
Administrator
4,339 Posts
It appears my plants are struggling. I have a two inch slit for ventilation a satellite+ pro LED light fixture and a misting system set for 2 seconds every 2 hours for 10 hours. Temp stays between 71 and 74 degrees and humidity stays between 94 to 100 percent according to an AC infinity reader
It sounds like you are misting WAY more than you need to. My frog room has ambient humidity of around 45-55% , I mist 3 times a day for 25 seconds each misting session. I use a mistking system, so I'm not sure how that would relate to your system (a monsoon I think?).

·
Administrator
6,719 Posts
The excessive volunteer moss growth suggests that the viv is very wet, at least where the moss is growing. Moss growth can be a useful coalmine canary to recommend running things dryer (misting less frequently, ventilating more, or both). Overly frequent misting and minimal ventilation make for pretty odd circumstances (wet leaves, dryer substrate) that I don't think many plants appreciate.

Misting primarily to maintain RH -- lightly and frequently -- is, IMO and based on threads here, a fairly common cause of both plant and frog deaths. Frogs and plants both drink from the substrate, so that needs to have a good supply of water in it. That one of the main reasons we use a draining substrate like ABG -- to allow for copious water additions (rain, not mist).

Frogs and plants both breathe through their exterior surfaces, so the air should be "fresh" and not saturated with water. Frogs and plants both need to combat bacterial and fungal growths on their exterior surfaces, so the air should be "fresh" and not saturated with water. Frogs and plants both move water up through their lower surfaces (belly patch, roots) and out through their top surfaces (skin, leaves), so the air should be "fresh" and not saturated with water.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
As @Socratic Monologue and @fishingguy12345 have already said, your misting schedule is providing a whole lot of surface moisture (hence moss growth) and no deeper moisture. You may want to check how moist your substrate is and see if there are dry pockets, and adjust your schedule to have less frequent bursts with enough time between for the leaves to dry, and occasional heavy “rainstorms” (1+ minute of mist). However, your plants look quite healthy and I’m not seeing the issues you’re describing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll get behind what the others have said. I hand mist and used to do twice a day, but then I went on vacation and the person I got misting and feeding could do just once a day, and the plants grew way bigger way faster, so I decided to switch to once a day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts