Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 azureus have had numerous clutches of eggs probably 10 eggs total and none of them have done well. So my question for you guys is what could I be doing wrong?

*they have a cocohut in the tank for them to lay their eggs in
* The temp is in the 70-80's, hum. is around 80-90%.
* I have tried leaving them in the tank and also taking them out but nothing seems to work.
*also in the beginning the eggs center is a dark brown to black color but eventually turns to gray.

Thanks in advance for your help.
ADAM

G

·
egg findings

I have had great luck with removing the eggs from whatever they are laid on and placing them a sterile petri dish and surrounding them with water. I also make sure that the eggs are not completely submerged (though I've had vent eggs do fine completely submerged) to allow them proper air exchange. If these 4 clutches are the first ever for this pair, then that could be your problem as well. It takes a few tries sometimes to get it right so viability isn't always assured. 10 eggs in 4 clutches is a fairly low number for this species which could also be a result in their inexperience with reproduction. I can only recommend patience and if this becomes a reapeated issue then the problem may lie elsewhere. How old are these frogs?

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
What type of supplements are you useing?

My Azureus just laid there 3 clutch. I got 1 tad from the first, looks like 2 from the second, and the 4th looks like 4 good eggs.

I am using retcal, and herpitive every other day.

addam4208283 said:
My 4 azureus have had numerous clutches of eggs probably 10 eggs total and none of them have done well. So my question for you guys is what could I be doing wrong?

*they have a cocohut in the tank for them to lay their eggs in
* The temp is in the 70-80's, hum. is around 80-90%.
* I have tried leaving them in the tank and also taking them out but nothing seems to work.
*also in the beginning the eggs center is a dark brown to black color but eventually turns to gray.

Thanks in advance for your help.
ADAM

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I would have to agree with what Bill as suggested, as I think it sounds more like inexperienced breeders then a nutrition issue. I dust everyday, and it is usually a mix of the two supplements (herptivite and repcal) but not all the time. I kind of wing it, but 50-50 is kind of what my even outs to over the week. The dust really does help with keeping the flies in the container and to keep them of the glass for a little bit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have two males in there that I have had for a year and two months; I purchased them both as juveniles. I also have a pair that I got this past November that were twelve months old when I bought them.

I use dendrocare for a supplement, the FF are dusted every time I feed.

thanks again
ADAM

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I have had that happen to a couple of mine, but not all. Do you put water in with the eggs. I add just a little, and have heard it both ways. For some reason I thought it would the best bet. So far so good, i've got 2 tads in the water, and 1 more ready to come out. So I can not say from a lot of experience that the water helps, but might we worth a try. Good luck and post if you figure anything out.

addam4208283 said:
I have two males in there that I have had for a year and two months; I purchased them both as juveniles. I also have a pair that I got this past November that were twelve months old when I bought them.

I use dendrocare for a supplement, the FF are dusted every time I feed.

thanks again
ADAM

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
dendrocare

I have been told that you should use another supplement in conjunction with dendrocare, for calcium. So you may want to get some repcal or your prefered calcium sup. just in case. I really think the problem has more to do with them being new/young breeders, but some calcium wouldn't hurt the female for better egg development.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have had a pair of azureus breeding for about 2-3 months now. It took the entire first month just to get fertile eggs, and a few weeks after that to stat getting healthy tads. I use repcal and herptivite everyday. As Bill said, patience is key. In the beginning there is not much you can do. They will become more experienced and start laying good clutches. For some reason I am still only getting one or two tads from each clutch. The most was 3 tads. They are only laying clutches or 4 or 5 eggs, but I am not complaining because they lay twice a week. I just think my male still hasn't perfected the fertilization process. There are still always at least two bad eggs per clutch, and almost always one tad that forms on the eggs but is bent and deformed and ultimately dies.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
fungus

Have you tried using methalene (sp) blue on your eggs when they are removed from the tank? I made this and a few other changes to husbandry with my eggs and went from a 25% success to almost 95% success.

Cleanliness, humidity and air circulation are very important. I think I will try to take some pics of how I do our eggs tonight.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Do you really think the methalene (sp) blue is the key factor to your egg production increase? I may have to try this. i would love to see how you girls do your eggs and stuff... there aren't enough pics of this kind of stuff (in my opinion). If you do get a chance to do it, maybe it would be a good idea to start it as a new topic and have it be your thoughts on egg care? Just an idea, but it does deal with this question... so its up to you.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Eggs...

I really don't think the Methelene Blue was the primary reason for our egg production increase, but it has played a roll. I think there are a couple things that have helped as well.

1. I now clean the rubbermaid shoebox & lid I keep the petri dishes with virosan. See bottom of post regarding what virosan is. I do this 1 to 2 times a week.

2. I place paper towels in the bottom of the container and keep them wet. This aids with humidity.

3. I do not securely put the lid on the shoe box, in fact I turn it over and set it on top. This helps with ventilation.

I do not think it was any 1 thing that made it more successful, but a combination of the things I discussed above.

Virosan Disinfectant, 1 gallon 2% Chlorhexadine Solution. Bio-Ceutic’s version of Nolvasan. Same strength with the same active ingredient. Broad-Spectrum anti-microbial activity, fungicidal, virucidal, and bactericidal. Dilute 1-3 oz per gallon of water.

Melis

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Ok, here are some images to go with this.

I wanted to get something up quick to go with this post, I think it will be a good topic for the advanced area.

Methyblu by Aquatronics can be purchased from any pet store. It is sold as a fish medication and is used to prevent fungus forming on the eggs.

melissa68 said:
I really don't think the Methelene Blue was the primary reason for our egg production increase, but it has played a roll. I think there are a couple things that have helped as well.

1. I now clean the rubbermaid shoebox & lid I keep the petri dishes with virosan. See bottom of post regarding what virosan is. I do this 1 to 2 times a week.

2. I place paper towels in the bottom of the container and keep them wet. This aids with humidity.

3. I do not securely put the lid on the shoe box, in fact I turn it over and set it on top. This helps with ventilation.

Each petri dish is labeled with the Frog/tank, the date laid and the number of eggs. The blue coloring in the petri dishes is caused by the addition of methyblu to the petri dish. This aids in preventing fungus on the eggs. Methyblu is not added directly to the dishes, instead I add 3 drops in the water bottle in one of the pics below. Then I top the water bottle off using distilled water.

This is how the eggs are stored

I do not think it was any 1 thing that made it more successful, but a combination of the things I discussed above.

Hopefully this will not create too many more questions, but I will try to put together another post.

G

·
Thanks for the helpful information Mellisa :)

Oh, and thats Methyline Blue :) (sorry. just had to try out the size control lol )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts