Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started on 12x12x18 zoomed viv, now I will be the first to admit that I SUCK at making viv's and this will be my 3rd attempt. I have a vision in my head that never really makes it out, plus I have no clue on plant placement, so I look to the forum to give me some direction. I have looked at countless viv's and I am amazed at some of them and wonder how they do it.

This will be for a pair of Imitators or similar not sure on what will be going in it.

I tried to make somewhat of a cave and to give a little more floor space. Its clay and a piece of wood and some pots which i have no clue what to put in them

Then added some cocofiber to give it a dirt look.

Then threw on some moss that I happen to have not sure it will stay but i would like to have some type of moss on top of the cave.

Now i have another piece of corkbark and drift wood that I can add somewhere, they will have to be cut to fit. Any input on where these can be added or how? I feel its missing something on the left hand side.

Here is a last pic, messing around with some LED's that i have

Any input is appreciated good or bad

·
Registered
31 Posts
It looks good so far.I'd leave the extra wood out and put an upright plant on the left my imis seem to really enjoy fittonia.

·
Banned
685 Posts
No LED's please.
and dont put much to in it, the frogs need space.
I have seen you post this comment twice now, and you only have 2 posts. You do realize Imitators don't use the floor space and NEED the 3D areas to use the bulk of the tank that would be dead air space without the additions don't you?

What do you use? Paper towels in an empty tank? Please post a pic of one of your vivs!

·
Banned
685 Posts
But the clay doesn't need to be covered. you don't let it dry out, you keep it moist, and the plants, ferns, moss, and broms will root into it and thrive.

Clay is a completely different process than GS foam and silicone/cover.

Foam=imitation cliff face to attach plants.

Clay=natural cliff face to grow plants

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very true about clay, you can leave it, but I decided to put a very thin layer of coco over to give it a more dirt like appearance, any plants can still root in it. Its all about the looks of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts