Dendroboard banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in desperate need of help deciding on darts for my 55 gal long. I want a group of 4 of any frogs I list. Easy breeding is a must. Please list reasons why you chose the frog you chose. What is the next best species on the list just in case my supplier doesn't have the species you picked. Please help this is a very hard decision. Sorry I'm asking for so much, just want to be sure before I jump head first into dart frog keeping.

4 Powder Blue Tincs
4 Patricia D. Tincs
4 P. Vittatus
4 Green & Bronze Auratus
4 Green & Black Auratus
4 Blue & Black Auratus

·
Registered
681 Posts
Im in desperate need of help deciding on darts for my 55 gal long. I want a group of 4 of any frogs I list. Easy breeding is a must. Please list reasons why you chose the frog you chose. What is the next best species on the list just in case my supplier doesn't have the species you picked. Please help this is a very hard decision. Sorry I'm asking for so much, just want to be sure before I jump head first into dart frog keeping.

4 Powder Blue Tincs
4 Patricia D. Tincs
4 P. Vittatus
4 Green & Bronze Auratus
4 Green & Black Auratus
4 Blue & Black Auratus
You can ask this question over and over again and just word it all different ways, but the answers you get will always be the same...

Do some research and makeup your own mind ... it really is that simple.

How about you ask your "supplier" what they have, then go from there...

Casper

·
Registered
264 Posts
You may experience female to female aggression with the tincs.

Blue and black auratus can be very shy ime

I have had luck with the green and black costa rican auratus in groups and they were fairly easy to breed. They were also fairly bold for when I owned a group. Their was some aggression but it was minor ime.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You can ask this question over and over again and just word it all different ways, but the answers you get will always be the same...

Do some research and makeup your own mind ... it really is that simple.

How about you ask your "supplier" what they have, then go from there...

Casper

I thinks he's referring to patrick, since their is a another thread trying to get vendor feedback.

again slow down and use the search button

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
the phyllobates are going to be the only option for that size group out of the frogs youve listed. although someone with more specific info on that species might be able to chime in and give some more detailed advice since the only phyllobates i have are terribs.

james

·
Registered
981 Posts
i dont know anyone with 4 tincs together...heard its bad news....3 is fine, sometimes...if it was me, i'd get the cheaper of the frogs...less risk.

oh, ok...here we go! Why don't we start by you posting a pic of your 55gal setup

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
First of all, I'd recommend reading up on the species you've listed so you know territory issues and their behavior.

Species - Dendroboard

Second, Is the 55 built yet? You should always decide on the frogs before making the tank.

It's really going to be up to you what you put in it, but I wouldn't recommend to a new comer having more than a pair of tincs together. The auratus and vittatus make great group frogs however, and you could even keep more than 4 vittata without issue. Provided the tank is set up correctly.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
one of these species would be a good first group frog-
-auratus
-leucs
-truncatus (watch for egg eating if 2+ females)
-vittatus
-terribilis
-bicolor
-anthonyi (watch for egg eating with 2+ females)
-trivitatta
-galacts (a bit more sensitive to heat, but otherwise easy)

·
Registered
266 Posts
only thing i have to say is slow down. please do not jump into breeding darts if you never kept one before. there is so many different things you need to know about keeping darts. just seems like you know little about them. please do alot of searching before even starting to think about breeding. once you do this you will answer your own question you just asked.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a feeling that the tank is just stuffed with eco earth and plants he got were from petco and/or neat looking plants at the local garden center. He also wants a prolific group to start making money.

Here's my advice.

Don't get frogs yet.
Don't keep making new threads.
Don't assume we will hold your hand and answer everything you post, especially if its commonly asked.

Do use the search button at the top so you aren't cluttering the forum.
Do research on your own AND THEN ask us about our opinions on what you have concluded.
Do know the ins and outs of feeding and care of the actual dart frog before you jump into the tads.

May God help the frogs that fall into this users hands.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
I have a feeling that the tank is just stuffed with eco earth and plants he got were from petco and/or neat looking plants at the local garden center. He also wants a prolific group to start making money.

Here's my advice.

Don't get frogs yet.
Don't assume we will hold your hand and answer everything you post, especially if its commonly asked.

Do research on your own AND THEN ask us about our opinions on what you have concluded.
Do know the ins and outs of feeding and care of the actual dart frog before you jump into the tads.

thats a little rough on the edges even for me, and i can be pretty harsh.
its understandable that a new member would want THEIR questions answered and i dont always see that as a bad thing, although searching the boards is important. i havent seen any new threads and the OP seems to be listening to the advice after the initial resistance, so i say lets all be a little more constructive and recognize that we ALL started somewhere. we have to hold others to the same standards the we hold ourselves and not expect more out of them even though we want/ expect others to immediately heed the advice given and start with a more solid knowledge base than we did.

james

·
Registered
266 Posts

Here's my advice.

Don't get frogs yet.

i 2nd what you said. this person isn't searching as much as they say they are. looks like they are trying to cut corners.

on another note. what ever happend to just owning frogs.(not breeding for money) looks like too many greedy people see frogs as free money makers. makes me sad

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
on another note. what ever happend to just owning frogs.(not breeding for money) looks like too many greedy people see frogs as free money makers. makes me sad
^^ This is the excuse I use when people ask me why I have dart frogs. Makes me seem less weird I guess and they understand it somewhat. In reality I just want every morph I can find, and breeding in is one of the most rewarding parts of this hobby. :rolleyes:

And I know its easy to bash on new members, I think people forget that we might have youngsters on our hands at times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Weenie858 & the other person keep that negative bullshit off my threads. Don't respond if u ain't gonna help. U probably dudes who has no life, no women, no kids, no job & your whole life consist of waking up and staring into a tank of colorful amphibians. You acting like a female on a period because I'm asking questions. You are too sensitive about this. I believe I said I was new and no I do not have plastic petco plants LOL.. Don't be the frog geeks who gets their rocks off by searching thru the forum from am to pm bashing members who don't know as much as you. Join PETA if you wanna be so aggressive about a question a newcomer ask. I want everyone to know these questions I'm asking all comes down to this, I am simply comparing the info I have from the internet and my books to you guys personal experience with that certain question. Example: Everyone swears they are a dart frog expert . I asked two SO CALLED experts about feeding crickets. One said darts can survive their whole life off crickets as long as they are the right size. The other SO CALLED expert said no. No matter the size. I'm just saying

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Who said I was breeding for money. I never said that. Listen yall I'm not no person to be selling some damn frogs. I breed AKC registered Boxers and work 2 jobs. I'm not tripping off selling no frogs. Lol...Yall funny and too sensitive LOL....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.