Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im finishing up a 40 breeder vert. I am deciding between red eye tree frogs or something else. I currently dont have any frogs, so I am looking for something that I could keep 3 of in a 40 breeder vert, that are going to be fairly bold. Trying to not spend more than 150 total for 3 frogs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Azureus or any other type of tinc as they are VERY bold and mine are always out

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Saviorself,

If you are interested in poison dart frogs, you would have to become very familiar with culturing fruitflies as food. Not everyone is willing to go to the effort, as there is some time involved in it.

That said, I believe that D. leucomelas are the best first dart frog, as they are very bold and probably the hardiest species.

Take care, Richard.

Im finishing up a 40 breeder vert. I am deciding between red eye tree frogs or something else. I currently dont have any frogs, so I am looking for something that I could keep 3 of in a 40 breeder vert, that are going to be fairly bold. Trying to not spend more than 150 total for 3 frogs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew leuc was a good beginner frog. I was under the impression tbey preffered length than height. Was looking for more of a climbing species. I have read up on the fruit fly culturing already. I appreciate the advice though :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I knew leuc was a good beginner frog. I was under the impression tbey preffered length than height. Was looking for more of a climbing species. I have read up on the fruit fly culturing already. I appreciate the advice though :)
Leucs climb all over the place. A tinc, on the other hand, would be a poor choice for a 40 gallon vert. You could also look at http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ca...dobates-tricolor-e-anthonyi-intermediate.html or potentially galacts (not sure how much they climb). Auratus is another option.

Keeping it to $50 or less per frog is the big limiting factor here. There are thumbnail species that would fit the bill too if your budget wasn't quite so tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts