Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting tired and frustrated on this matter of not having enough flies to feed my frogs after a week

I must be doing something wrong here because every 2 weeks or so Im in need of fruit flies and I have to go out and buy some.I I breed both D.hydei and D.Mela. right now i have 7 culture of fruit flies and I am already out of D.Hydei

Now the problem i am having is im using so many flies before they can reproduce and i wind up running out. Am i feeding my frogs to many flies at once or is it I dont have enough cultures.So they dont have a chance to breed?

1. How many flies should i feed my frogs?I am always afriad of under feeding
-0.0.3 luecs
-0.0.2 Azureus
-0.0.3 mints
-1.0.1 Tarapoto

2.How many cultures should i have to rotate between each feeding?Also how long should I wait before feeding my recently new culture?

Thanks aheaed of time for the help.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would recommend making an additional culture of each... You might be feeding out too much or over seeding new cultures... I am feeding 15 thumbs and 3 leucs on 4 cultures a week. I feed at least every other day and (knock on wood) haven't ran out of flies.

Maybe try to use the additional culture you make as a seeding culture for new cultures only.

How often do you make cultures? What media? Excelsior or filters?

I am not very versed on hydei, I stopped using those a while back...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.022657,-117.120878

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think im not making enough cultures frequently to supply my frogs

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be... Some people do 8-10 days... I find that once a week works perfect for me.

Also, I only seed from cultures that are 21 days old to ensure lots of mature flies go into the new culture to make sure that they start producing ASAP.

---
I am here: Google Maps
See im not doing that at all. I make cultures every 3 weeks( I think) and im think im grabbing flies from the the newly cultures because i have so few cultures made

How many cultures do you have?

·
Registered
266 Posts
what it looks like is you are starting your new cultures. then before they get totaly started out you end up feeding from them. that slows down the culture and makes less flys. that's why it looks like you are running low on flys. next culture you make don't feed out of until you see crap ton(technical term) and don't feed every last fly out. if everything goes right you should be feeding out of the same culture no more then 3 to 4 times a week. i've found any more will make the culture run dry

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what it looks like is you are starting your new cultures. then before they get totaly started out you end up feeding from them. that slows down the culture and makes less flys. that's why it looks like you are running low on flys. next culture you make don't feed out of until you see crap ton(technical term) and don't feed every last fly out. if everything goes right you should be feeding out of the same culture no more then 3 to 4 times a week. i've found any more will make the culture run dry
That is exaclty whats happening to me. I feed to fast before than can produce. How many cultures do you have? how many should i feed my frogs?

In the mean time what should I do?

I just made two new cultures and im leaving them alone.I saw on a sponsors website they sell 4 producing cultures. im curious in getting them

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to start doing this , i have so few cultures and thats whats going wrong. What should i do in the mean time while my cultures are just freshly made?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I need to start doing this , i have so few cultures and thats whats going wrong. What should i do in the mean time while my cultures are just freshly made?
your best bet is to find a local froger who can get you some producing cultures. also look into keeping springtales. I have 1 large culture setup i use for feeding when i run low on flys.

also I try to make a new culture once the old culture reaches 2 weeks old. I don't touch the new one until you see alot of flys. normaly 2 weeks. just in time to throw out your old culture. I personaly like to have different culture in different stages of there life. not all made on such and such week. keeps things from going bad

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
your best bet is to find a local froger who can get you some producing cultures. also look into keeping springtales. I have 1 large culture setup i use for feeding when i run low on flys.

also I try to make a new culture once the old culture reaches 2 weeks old. I don't touch the new one until you see alot of flys. normaly 2 weeks. just in time to throw out your old culture. I personaly like to have different culture in different stages of there life. not all made on such and such week. keeps things from going bad
I was thinking about ordering some that are producing. I do have a large producing springtale culture. So that will work. and yeah i will start doing this right away

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It's my opinion that especially new froggers should make cultures every single week. Make them on the same day every week. Once you feel that you have mastered culturing, and are never short on flies, then you can consider varying your schedule. At that point, you do not need anybodies advice on how often to make cultures as you are now a master.

Reactions: goatdude

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's my opinion that especially new froggers should make cultures every single week. Make them on the same day every week. Once you feel that you have mastered culturing, and are never short on flies, then you can consider varying your schedule. At that point, you do not need anybodies advice on how often to make cultures as you are now a master.
thanks. you have a great point

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I keep 4 cultures per viv. 2 are old(er) flies/cultures; 2 are freshly made/booming. If you maintain this balance, flies will never be too productive, nor underproductive. I feed from older cultures until there is a REAL BOOM in the new cultures, then I will add equal parts from older and new cultures to the feedings. I make new cultures(2 per viv) with the intial boom of new cultures using flies from the old and new to seed. This is every 12 days approx. Hope this helps!

JBear

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I keep 4 cultures per viv. 2 are old(er) flies/cultures; 2 are freshly made/booming. If you maintain this balance, flies will never be too productive, nor underproductive. I feed from older cultures until there is a REAL BOOM in the new cultures, then I will add equal parts from older and new cultures to the feedings. I make new cultures(2 per viv) with the intial boom of new cultures using flies from the old and new to seed. This is every 12 days approx. Hope this helps!

JBear
extremly helps. Great idea by having et flies for each tank. Im going to do that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very helpful info in here, ty all.

It generally seems that most seed out new cultures when they get their 'boom', and not from older cultures.

Does anyone know if there is a decrease in fertility as the culture's age increases?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts