Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building planted vivs for crested geckos, and am considering culturing and seeding them with a species or two.

I've found that springtails work really well in my display vivs for small arboreal snakes, keep things clean and seem to help take care of any animal waste that isn't removed, and I think they should really be great with geckos pooping in small amounts all over.

Other than springtails, is there anything that might be worth culturing or seeding in the vivs? I've been intrigued a bit by isopods and pill bugs. Are any of these beneficial on their own to planted vivs, or are they mostly used as a food source for dart frogs?

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Any of the isopods make great janitors. The Giant Oranges are especially fun to watch. They are almost a pet by themselves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any risk to plants if they become established in the vivs? I've been reading a bit about the giant oranges in particular, they seem neat.

How big do they get? I wonder if the gex would consider them food (wouldn't be a terrible thing if they did), or if they'd be too small to be of interest.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I use Spanish orange isos in my snake vivs and they are great at "sanitation." They get about as big as a medium cricket, so they'll probably be food as well. You could always go smaller, like a dwarf white or jungle micropods, so the geckos won't bother with them.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Giant Oranges (same as Spanish Oranges) will sometimes take a liking to a particular plant. The others seem safe.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
IMO isopos are a great addition to any viv. Janitor service makes a big difference in the overall cleanliness of the viv, and your cresties will love them. Ive never had them go after my plants, but that doesnt mean they won't. Most of my plants are grown epiphytically though, so theres pretty minimal interaction between bug and plant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts