Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have heard them be called carrion flies. They are similar to the size of my gliders out melo's but skinny and a little longer. Problem is there infested my cultures and teaching the others how to fly and I'm losing alot of cultures. I have not fed with them. My hydie cultures are ok. For now. These little flies can squeeze into the cultures through the mesh vent. Any ideas what to do? I have never seen these before.:(

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Teddy has it right. If they are established in the cultures you need to freeze the infected cultures and use clean cultures with finer mesh to prevent them from laying eggs in the cultures. If your not careful, they will also attack any food or drinks that are sitting out as well as establishing in other cultures like crickets and mealworms (where they use the dead bodies for food) and can reach really epidemic proportions quickly.

Ed

Reactions: Grrrit

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YIKES! Any chance you could tell me where to get the screen? And what glue to ashere with no adverse affects? I have just the average 32oz cup with the fabric screens. And are there any brands of really affective fly traps?

·
Registered
483 Posts
My fly trap is vinegar, squirt of dish soap, coke (or any sugary drink), add water to taste. There are a lot of different recipes (and I know mine isn't the greatest), but it works for me because that's what I have on hand.

Disclaimer: not intended for human consumption.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
My fly trap is vinegar, squirt of dish soap, coke (or any sugary drink), add water to taste. There are a lot of different recipes (and I know mine isn't the greatest), but it works for me because that's what I have on hand.

Disclaimer: not intended for human consumption.
This trap will not capture most or even many of the phorid flies. It has the wrong chemical cues. Phorid flies are attracted to decomposing materials particularly protiens.

Ed

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm.

I remember seeing some glue/ led traps. I just can't recall where.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ok, add a chunk of rotten meat, soap, water... kidding. I knew I would be wrong.

He may have regular wild flies and setting up a trap wont hurt, unless you drink it. I have a trap set up all the time to help control the wanderers.

Would this mean a glue trap would not work for them as well?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I should've been more specific.
The traps I saw were small wall mount leds, about 5 or so diodes. The lights shine on the glue board. The glue board was about 4"x4". Half of it was blue, the other was yellow. Tge blue was supposed to attract the female and the yellow attracted the males.

Sounds weird but I'd give them a shot if I could find them again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts