Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys? I would love some feedback on my first viv. Its a 29g with a false bottom, GS/silicone background, AGB soil. I went to my local nursery yesterday and picked up a few plants. Not sure if they are all viv appropriate. I plan on added a couple of Neos and maybe a fern or two. Not to sure what i should use for background cover. I was thinking creeping fig but ive heard bad things. Will the Fittonia i have grow up the background?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm not a plant guru, but you got some very nice cryptanthus - I'm jealous - cannot find any locally. Do you know the name of the purple fuzzy thing? Its interesting and I'm plotting the "purple viv" so keep me posted on if it lives or rots.

I think the fat leaved plant is a succulent and I'd be concerned that it needs dryer conditions but I think others with more experience will weigh in and give you real advice instead of just my crappy advice.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think its called a "purple passion" Thats what my mom called it... Ill let ya know what happens with it!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Purple plant is Gynura aurantiaca (Purple Passion plant)
The fat leaved plant is a succulent and will most likely rot within 2 weeks or less)
The Fittonia can get leggy in a viv. Keep it pinched back for the first few months and it should develop alot bushier habit.

Now my question is... how much did you clean those plants?
And what technique did you use?

Todd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eeek. I rinsed everything before and after the bath. Should I have used less bleach? Shorter time? Its been 24 hours since the bath, I dont smell bleach in the tank either. I also took the succulent out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rinsed for a long time after the bath... We shall see. Hopefully they live!

So the fittonia will stay on the ground? What its a good background covering plant besides the creeping fig?

·
Registered
564 Posts
The fittonia will eventually grow tall and busy if you pinch it off enough, but it won't attach to the background like a vining plant will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.