Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found many posts on how to do elaborate air circulation systems and I have seen some setups with small sections of screen and some setups with what seemed to be little circulation, if any. What is the circulation rate one would need? Is it needed? Are most people just guessing?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can't give you a scientific size based on data but I've had good luck with an 1" of screen across the top of a 10 gallon. Plants seem more likely to rot in the viv's I have without screens. I've also increased the screen size to
1-1/2" and needed to mist more than the tanks with just a 1" of screen. I’ll eventually have some sort of ventilation in all my viv's. Keep in mind it also depends on the plants you want to grow; ferns do well with no screens, brom’s on the other hand like some ventilation. Also have one tank with a fan circulation; this can dry things out rather quickly.

Brian

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Any advanced circulation really is for the benefit of the plants primarily so it would depend on the plants I suppose. I've seen frogs succesfully reared in closed containers as well as tanks with as much as 1/3 of the lid screened...as long as the humidity is high enough that they don't dry out.

I had fans that screens up front and fans in the back of some of my vivs, but the broms liked it better without the fans. Orchids enjoy a breeze now and then I'm told.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I grow a lot of orchids successfully in vivs with just passive ventilation in the form of some small holes drilled in the rear of the lid of the viv. I like to keep it simple. Fans could definitely be nice, but don't think that they are an absolute necessity

·
Registered
585 Posts
I use a fish tank air pump with a air stone,i put the air line behind the background in the corner of the tank and run it into the drainage layer also i use a cheap airstone it brings enough air in the tank my broms and all other plants are always in bloom

Reactions: Edhurl

·
Registered
471 Posts
I use a fish tank air pump with a air stone,i put the air line behind the background in the corner of the tank and run it into the drainage layer also i use a cheap airstone it brings enough air in the tank my broms and all other plants are always in bloom
Im thinking I may steal this idea, thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
Fish tank air pump works great.
It's what I'm using and very happy with it.
I'm not even using an air stone, but blowing the air on my front glass to reduce condensation on it.

Steve

·
Registered
193 Posts

I will steal this idea too...:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts